Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Suggestions for new strobes?

Suggestions for new strobes? 4 years 8 months ago #1259

Hey everyone, I have always leaned towards natural light photography with the help of Speedlites when needed. However, I was recently asked to do a major project that would involve me setting up a mini studio for a bunch of indoor portrait work. I would like to bump up my equipment with the purchase of some strobes...however...I am new to the strobe game (trusted brands, what wattage I should be looking at, etc.).

I was looking at the Bowens 400w kits...but, like I said, I'm not sure what wattage I should be looking for, what brands are trusted, etc. My goal is to keep my purchase under $1000 whether it be 1 really nice strobe or 2 good quality strobes in a kit. Any ideas, experience, suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

p.s. the work will focus on full body portraits and 3/4 shots...if that helps.
Last Edit: 4 years 8 months ago by Mike Greenley. Reason: adding additional info
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Suggestions for new strobes? 4 years 8 months ago #1262

• Pat Belisle
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I got Flashpoint II 620M, 2 300w lamps for 499$...entry level but amazing kit, well built and user friendly... I think that monolight is the best for indoor but those are ''battery ready''...a must I think...
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

Re: Suggestions for new strobes? 4 years 8 months ago #1264

• Christian Udarbe
  • Gold Boarder
  • Just go out and shoot
  • Thank you received: 12
I actually like this thread :cheer: I, too, am looking into some strobes for somewhat similar projects.

Any more brands other than those mentioned? Similar price range as the Flashpoints at more or less $500 would be nice; still a student here so I really can't afford so much :oops: LOL

A medical student;
A musician;
A photographer;
ITS ALL AN ART

Blogger
Facebook
Flickr
Twitter: @ChanUdarbe

Add me up!

Re: Suggestions for new strobes? 4 years 8 months ago #1265

Pat - Those flash points are very tempting from the price perspective...I've just always been a little weary about "you get what you pay for." I will definitely research them a LOT more and maybe see if there are any youtube vids out there with reviews on these strobes. Thanks so much for your input!!!

Christian - I'm glad I'm not in this boat alone! I've been doing a lot of research...since there hasn't been an overwhelming response on this thread...and aside from the Flashpoints, my top pick as of right now are from Paul C Buff (paulcbuff.com). I really like the Einstein E640 @ $499, and the AlienBees B1600's @ $359. The Alien Bees got great reviews as far as performance as well as durability. Plus, all Paul C Buff strobes are built entirely in the USA...if that makes a difference :) I've heard good things about their White Lightning line as well.

So many brands to choose from... :pinch:
Last Edit: 4 years 8 months ago by Mike Greenley. Reason: adding info

Re: Suggestions for new strobes? 4 years 8 months ago #1267

• Christian Udarbe
  • Gold Boarder
  • Just go out and shoot
  • Thank you received: 12
Mike Greenley wrote:
since there hasn't been an overwhelming response on this thread...

Or in any thread as of late LOL it wasn't like this before; seems most members are busy T.T It has gotten lonely in the forums...

There's this kit that I saw before from Phottix, it comes with three strobes I believe. It should be $500-600. Comes with modifiers and lightstands, as well as carrying cases. Not sure if they still sell those. Not even sure about the overall quality and the output power of the strobes LOL but still worth a look I think =]

A medical student;
A musician;
A photographer;
ITS ALL AN ART

Blogger
Facebook
Flickr
Twitter: @ChanUdarbe

Add me up!

Re: Suggestions for new strobes? 4 years 7 months ago #1279

Well...I went with the Paul C. Buff Alien Bees B1600. I just ordered one for now, but, I have a feeling I'll be ordering another before my shoot week.

All of the reviews that I read were really great, even for the B800's, plus I found a bunch of threads on the Flickr "Strobist" forums comparing the Alien Bees with the White Lightnings and then both of those lines compared to the higher end units. All of the feedback coming in gave the Paul C. Buff lines great reviews especially for the price. The reason I went with the Alien Bees over the White Lightnings was, 1. the AB's are more affordable for the same power level, and 2. I like the compact design. The WL's have a separate modeling light slider...which I might actually like for higher shutter speed shots without firing flash...but, I could just not be lazy and walk over to adjust the modeling light ;)

Youtube has some great vids on the Alien Bees if anyone is interested in checking them out. Can't wait to get em'!!!

Re: Suggestions for new strobes? 4 years 7 months ago #1332

I love my White Lightning strobes. They are a step up from the A/B's. Super easy to use and reliable....