Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: What is an affordable flash for a Nikon D7000

What is an affordable flash for a Nikon D7000 3 years 11 months ago #2526

• John
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi All My nmae Is John (cjsfotos) I would love to buy a sd900 flash but cost is too high at this time ! what flash out ther would be a good option that would work as well ( I understand not same quality) but more affordable to start out ? I would use as fill flash wireless, slave , for weddings and potraits, thanks look forward to hearing some ideas! Take care!
Last Edit: 3 years 11 months ago by John. Reason: Spelling correction
The administrator has disabled public write access.

What is an affordable flash for a Nikon D7000 3 years 11 months ago #2527

• Roy van Ommen
  • Creative minds for all!
  • Thank you received: 86
Hi there! And welcome to the forums,

Altough, i am not a Nikon shooter and i do not have fully knowlegde about the hardware they create, i have to say that the SB900 would be the best choice for now, as an investment.

But! If you can't afford it, i would look to a older model of the top range, so the SB800 or the SB700. I thought i heard Greg saying that he liked the SB700 more then the SB800, but i can have that one wrong.

I would not go for a brand like Metz or so because of the quality. If you are shooting weddings, you have to rely on your gear and as well on your flash, in my opinion, it should be worth the investment, it will last for years (if you take good care of it). It will pay itself back in the time.

But thats my opinion :)

Let us your choice know, if you have decided it ;)

Greetings,
Roy
The following user(s) said Thank You: John
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

What is an affordable flash for a Nikon D7000 3 years 11 months ago #2529

• John
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks Roy ! I am in agreement with you as it is a great investment the sb700 is also a great option at a better price , but being a soon to be retired , new wedding & portrait photographer , I need to build up funds to improve equipment! I know the cheaper flashes are not in my best future interest but to get through the early beginnings what should I look for in a cheaper flash that will get me to a point where I can make that jump to sb700 & sb900 as they would make a great pair to have? John
cazillo.com/c/components/com_kunena/temp.../emoticons/smile.png

What is an affordable flash for a Nikon D7000 3 years 11 months ago #2535

• Roy van Ommen
  • Creative minds for all!
  • Thank you received: 86
Hi John,

Have you already considered to get a second hand flash? I think they are a lot cheaper then new and you really, really need one from Nikon with the strenght of a SB700 or higher...

Greetings,
Roy

What is an affordable flash for a Nikon D7000 3 years 11 months ago #2543

• John
  • Fresh Boarder
Again I agree, a used would be the thing although they still run well over 3oo dollars , Guess I will have to put off for now and save till I get enough ! Unless you know a better outlet price wise , ebay list close to 400 for the sb700! Thanks you have been helpful , John Take care!
Last Edit: 3 years 11 months ago by John. Reason: spelling error

What is an affordable flash for a Nikon D7000 3 years 11 months ago #2547

I always suggest buying a Nikon/Canon flash as your first since they work so much better with your camera. Once you get the hang of it then buy aftermarket ones.

What is an affordable flash for a Nikon D7000 3 years 11 months ago #2556

Hi,

I first bought an SB700 (and I'm totally happy with it) because I can use it on-camera and take full advantages of Nikon's iTTL and stuff - and I can use it also off-camera.

Later I bought an Yongnuo YN-560 II (which is significantly cheaper) together with a pair of Yongnuo RF 603 for an additional off-camera flash. This works very well for me and for this purpose I would only buy this ones.

Bottom line: if you want to take full advantage of the cameras flash abilities, I would go for a Nikon flash. Otherwise the Yongnuos are also a very good choice.

HTH
Kai
Last Edit: 3 years 11 months ago by Kai Diefenbach.

What is an affordable flash for a Nikon D7000 3 years 11 months ago #2558

• John
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks Yes It does make sense to buy nikon for nikon, I am going to look at some on Adorama in there used dept. see what I can get , but still open to more input , Love your training video's and this is a great site Too!