Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Off camera flash with a D3100?

Off camera flash with a D3100? 3 years 9 months ago #3138

Hello all!

I am fairly new to photography and purchased a D3100 about 6 months ago. My question is since the D3100 does not use the CLS, what would be my options to try and use off camera flash? I understand that I can use a speedlight as a commander but that would require purchasing two SB900s. Is there a cheaper option involving the one speedlight to begin with?

Thanks for any help offered. And really enjoying the site and info offered!
Account used exclusively for moving questions from Photography Answers section on Cazillo.com.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Off camera flash with a D3100? 3 years 9 months ago #3139

you could use an off flash camera cord so you only have to have 1 flash. or maybe a cheap third party wireless flash system, i think calumet do one, not sure of the quality though
Account used exclusively for moving questions from Photography Answers section on Cazillo.com.
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

Off camera flash with a D3100? 3 years 9 months ago #3140

You can use the sb-800 or 700 as a master too. You might look into the pocketwizards, they work with the SB-900 and CLS system although not sure if that would be cheaper than another 900.