Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: 1st or 2nd curtain?

1st or 2nd curtain? 3 years 9 months ago #3421

• Mark
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 8
Hey, Greg (and all who wish to come in),

What's your take on 1st and 2nd curtain? I've been using second curtain for stopping motion with a slow shutter speed, but I've also read a suggestion to use 2nd curtain for any photograph because it let's in more ambient light... I can't imagine that it matters either way unless I'm using a long exposure.

Just wanted to hear your thoughts.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jose Cruz

1st or 2nd curtain? 3 years 9 months ago #3435

• Conor Casey
  • Thank you received: 55
As far as I can think, I always use first curtain sync for everything except long exposures. Checking my book on flash: The flash sync fires the instant the front curtain fully opens. When you take long exposures while also firing a flash, first curtain sync will make blur from motion appear ahead of your subject. It's used you want the flash to freeze motion at the beginning of the exposure.

Second curtain sync (or rear curtain sync - one is Canon, the other Nikon; can't remember which though): Fires at the end of the exposure, before the second curtain closes will freeze motion. It's better for long exposures because rear curtain sync will make motion blur trail the main subject.

Just what I know about it, I don't use it all that often tbh. :)
Conor Casey
Flickr
Last Edit: 3 years 9 months ago by Conor Casey.
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

1st or 2nd curtain? 3 years 9 months ago #3444

Depends what you are creating. If your image looks better with front curtain sync then us it, otherwise you have the option of using rear curtain sync.