Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Nikon Speedlight

Nikon Speedlight 3 years 3 months ago #4784

When my Nikon Speedlite (SB-700) is used on camera (D90 and D800)and the TTL mode is selected, the Speedlite goes into i-TTL Balanced Fill Flash mode. When using this mode for outdoor portraits in which ambient light is the main light and the Speedlite is fill, is there any benefit to using a light modifier on the Speedlite.

Thanks
Last Edit: 3 years 3 months ago by William Munslow.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Nikon Speedlight 3 years 3 months ago #4837

• Brent Ross
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 33
Depends on distance. I'm assuming you are in auto fp mode which mean you have already lost a good chunk of power from an already smaller flash. I'd say a directional diffuser for when you get closer cant hurt. I've gone bare flash outdoors at events and just added the slightest of fill with it -3ev and it helps in post. I can share an image if you'd care to see.
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

Nikon Speedlight 3 years 3 months ago #4844

Thanks for your helpful post. It seemed to me that the lower percentage of light the fill provides the less important a light modifier would be, and you seem to be saying much the same thing. Outdoor events as you describe is one of the applications I was wondering about. Yes, I would like to see an image.

Thanks Again

Nikon Speedlight 3 years 2 months ago #4850

• Brent Ross
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 33
www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.630313...&type=1&l=46b7c622f8

Most of the photos in this album used bare flash or bounce card. You can see the only time you can spot issues is for close in close ups. you start to see a harder chin shadow on the collar in one for example.

I dont see any harm in having a cheap on flash diffuser for certain types of shots. This client was happy however, and the minor shadowing in the occasional picture was hardly noticeable to them. If anything you should get a flash bracket for when turn your camera ganster style and go in for the kill shot.