Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: wedding shoot question

wedding shoot question 2 years 1 month ago #6261

• Brent Ross
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 33
So I'm going to be shooting a wedding ceremony in a church with a higher ceiling which means I cant bounce the flash off the ceiling or use a gary phong knock off because there wont being anything near to bounce off of.

I'm thinking of using a small portable umbrella made to attach to a flash bracket to give fill light and setting up a dual flash umbrella at low power off to the side to give a bit of side light depth. Or is that too invasive. Maybe I only need fill.

Also I'm using a D7100 so I want to keep ISO near 1000 or less
The administrator has disabled public write access.

wedding shoot question 2 years 1 month ago #6265

How about a small softbox for you speedlight? You could use it on a flashbracket, and use it of camera with remote triggers.
Nikon FX body's and some Nikkor FX glass I believe...

Praktica 35mm analogue just for fun

www.remcovandesanden.nl
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

wedding shoot question 2 years 1 month ago #6268

• Brent Ross
  • Gold Boarder
Yeah either a small softbox or tiny umbrella which ever is cheaper. Its a something that I'd use rarely. But because It's a new situation id like to be prepared for the worst

wedding shoot question 2 years 1 month ago #6269

Brent Ross wrote:
So I'm going to be shooting a wedding ceremony in a church with a higher ceiling which means I cant bounce the flash off the ceiling or use a gary phong knock off because there wont being anything near to bounce off of.

I'm thinking of using a small portable umbrella made to attach to a flash bracket to give fill light and setting up a dual flash umbrella at low power off to the side to give a bit of side light depth. Or is that too invasive. Maybe I only need fill.

Also I'm using a D7100 so I want to keep ISO near 1000 or less

Few questions....first why are you putting artificial and preconceived restrictions on your photography? So what if your ISO is at 6400 as long as you created a great photograph it won't matter.

When working with flash you need to be thinking about lighting ratios, main light, fill light etc. The main light (strongest/brightest source) should never be coming from the same angle as the camera. Fill light on the other hand can come from the camera angle straight on. Ratios determine how dramatic the lighting is and how strong the shadows are.

When I shoot a wedding ceremony the on camera flash is a FILL LIGHT not a MAIN LIGHT. I use the ambient light in the church as the main light and allow my strobe to fill in the shadows a little bit. Use TTL mode and dial the flash down about -1 EV or so.

Don't forget that adding modifiers DECREASES your strobe's output and affective distance. This will not be good for a long distance shot like in a church.

After the ceremony I bring out the off camera flash on a stand and use it as a main light.

wedding shoot question 2 years 1 month ago #6270

• Brent Ross
  • Gold Boarder
Thanks for the information. Having too strong of a fill was one of my worries. I guess I should rely more on the natural lighting instead of trying to overly control it. Maybe use a tiny bit of on camera flash at very low power to brighten the shadows a bit. ISO 1000 is a bit excessive of a limitation, and I get that cranking the ISO is much better than an underexposure it's just things fall apart around ISO 6400 on the D7100. I may use my friends D600 if he can part with it for a day. I think this is a job for a bigger sensor.