Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Some more testing - before I watched the latest

Some more testing - before I watched the latest 11 months 3 weeks ago #6518

• jerry
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 31
Well, 1st off thanks for talking bout the blue sky thing Greg. I did some testing today on a darker cloudy day (before i watched your latest KSM episode). It will .be cloudy for awhile yet, but I want to figure out this flash thing. Here are 3 shots I think i was fairly successful at.
The full body specs:
Flash on camera, no mini soft box, Flash at half power, 1/640 shutter, ISO 200, f2.5, -2 on flash exposure comp.
The face shot, soft box on flash on camera, flash power 1/4, -0.3, 1/800 shutter, ISO 200 and again -2 flash exposure comp.

close up is a bit flat, but I don't have a stand to put my flash off camera, i suppose i could have tried it on the ground. I got into post and did notice the shots were a bit underexposed so i increase by +0.9 i believe.

The single shot is using off camera flash to camera left firing straight on my left side. Settings, F3.5, ISO 100, 1/125, -2 flash compensation on camera and -3 on the flash. Straight out of camera with crop. This time I wanted to add a bit of depth. Eyes are a bit dark because of flash position, but trying something new.
Attachments:
Last Edit: 11 months 2 weeks ago by jerry. Reason: update
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Some more testing - before I watched the latest 11 months 2 weeks ago #6519

Did you get anywhere after the video?
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

Some more testing - before I watched the latest 11 months 1 week ago #6520

• jerry
  • Gold Boarder
Well Greg, I tried as you did, to actually be in the sun. i guess it worked out. I know 1 shot is blurry, but I'm not to concerned about that right now. I think I had my cheap circular polarizer on for the close up shot (right). I know its better not to shoot in harsh light, but i figure if i can figure out the hard shots, the rest should be easier..maybe!! Some of my issues probably come down to the fact that I don't have the right equipment. I do have a "soft box" that goes over my external flash, but again, its a cheap thing and probably not big enough to really soften the light.

Anyway, these are after your video.
Attachments:

Some more testing - before I watched the latest 11 months 1 week ago #6521

Do you have a photo in this series without flash? That could help you understand whats going on.

Some more testing - before I watched the latest 11 months 1 week ago #6526

• jerry
  • Gold Boarder
no i do not