Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: A snowy day portrait

A snowy day portrait 10 months 5 days ago #6550

• jerry
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 31
So I've been practicing more with my flash and outdoor work, seems like cloudy days are what works best for me so far, but it was snowing and I wanted to try and get that snowy day type shot.
Canon Rebel T3i with a 50mm lens, ISO 100, F2.8, 1/750, ISO 100. Canon Speedlite 430EX ll mounted on camera at 1/8 power i believe set to 50mm zoom

If i shot this more carefully i would have found a spot so I didn't have that brown tree, but this was just for practice anyway. Feel free to critique.
Attachments:
Last Edit: 10 months 5 days ago by jerry.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

A snowy day portrait 10 months 1 day ago #6558

Start practicing with varying shutter speed. You will see the difference between higher and lower shutter speeds and get a better idea of how to mix them.
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

A snowy day portrait 9 months 2 weeks ago #6561

• Jonathan Barnes
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Full-time musician, part-time photographer
  • Thank you received: 1
Jerry,

I'm sorry I am just getting around to checking these boards again. Things have been incredibly busy lately but I like this little community here! I've been catching up and noticed several posts from you about 2 weeks ago regarding triggering flash and balancing ambient/flash exposures.

First, in response to your blue sky question a month or two ago, get your ambient exposure first before messing with the flash. If it's a bright sunny day, get your ISO as low as possible and your sync speed as high as possible. Seems like you've been tinkering with high speed sync and ND filters so you're on the right track there. Even before doing any of that though, you can go to ISO 100, max normal sync (on my camera it's 1/250) and then adjust your aperture until you get that nice, rich blue sky. On a bright sunny day, I find that somewhere between f/8-f/16 will do it.

The next step is to bring your flash into the equation. Set your flash on manual and simply adjust the power until you've exposed your subject properly. If your settings for a rich blue sky are ISO 100, 1/250 sec, and f/11, then chances are your subject (I'm assuming a person) is going to be underexposed. Simply adjust the flash power until you've exposed your subject properly. If you are at full power on the flash and still not getting enough power, you'll need to move your flash closer to the subject.

High speed sync and ND filters come in handy when you want to get that exposure from before, but at a much wider aperture than f/11. Until you've become more comfortable with the steps in the previous paragraph, I'd recommend holding off on the HSS and ND filters.

I'm curious if you ordered that Yongnuo trigger set. I've heard mixed reviews about Yongnuo's products. I know that a lot of people love them but I've heard stories about shoddy manufacturing and no-so-great warranties. I'd love to hear your experience so far.

Keep us posted!

A snowy day portrait 9 months 2 weeks ago #6562

• jerry
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 31
i found out i cannot do high speed sync with off camera flash, I have to get some triggers. And the fact I just have bare flash, no modifiers, no soft boxes, nothing, it makes it harder. No I haven't purchased those triggers as of yet. But every1 in Facebook group swears by them.
Last Edit: 9 months 2 weeks ago by jerry.

A snowy day portrait 9 months 2 weeks ago #6563

• Jonathan Barnes
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Full-time musician, part-time photographer
  • Thank you received: 1
Hard flash can be really effective in certain situations. Another thing to think about if you don't have any modifiers yet is to experiment with "found" modifiers. Bounce surfaces, bedsheets, pieces of paper, etc.