Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Exposure compensation.

Exposure compensation. 4 years 10 months ago #1014

• Josh Waters
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
I've been wondering in what situation would one use exposure compensation. I've been shooting with a d7000 for 8 or so months and never find myself using it. If i have an exposure change to make, then i just make it whether it be iso/shutter/or aperture. i use an exposure compensation when editing my raw files though, i find that handy...

so what do you guys use this button for? am i under utilizing this button on my camera?

take care...
Josh
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Exposure compensation. 4 years 10 months ago #1015

• Mistery
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 16
Could use it for landscapes when you use spot metering; take one shot of the sky to expose for it properly and than take a second to expose for the object. Than combine the two to get the perfect picture.

You could also use it for shooting interiors where the lighting can be tough, same as above.

Any questions?
D800 w/grip, D700 w/grip,V1,14-24mm F/2.8, 24-70mm F/2.8, 70-200mm F/2.8, 200-400mm F/4, 105mm,F/2.8,35mm F/1.4,35mm F/1.8, 85mm F/1.4,1.7x Tele
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

Re: Exposure compensation. 4 years 10 months ago #1023

I only use it when I'm in aperture or shutter priority mode. It adjusts your meter to over or underexpose the image, so if you need to adjust it slightly you can. I rarely use it since I shoot in manual mode most of the time. You shouldn't use it with manual mode...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Josh Waters

Re: Exposure compensation. 4 years 10 months ago #1024

• Christian Udarbe
  • Gold Boarder
  • Just go out and shoot
  • Thank you received: 12
I never used EV (except when I accidentally had it +/- 1 LOL) but in addition to the previous post, you can probably use the negative EV when shooting outdoors with a wide aperture when there is so much light already and you don't have/forgot your ND filter.

Not sure though, I'm basing it on theory with the (little) knowledge I have :lol:

A medical student;
A musician;
A photographer;
ITS ALL AN ART

Blogger
Facebook
Flickr
Twitter: @ChanUdarbe

Add me up!

Re: Exposure compensation. 4 years 10 months ago #1025

I've noticed my D5000 tends to shoot a little dark for my liking. That, along with the idea of exposing to the right (without clipping highlights) has led to me dialing in +0.7 in the exposure compensation.

When using something like aperture priority, the camera will meter as it normally does, but then change the shutter speed 2/3 of a stop from what the meter suggests, so my images are exposed more toward the highlights.

In manual mode, I can dial in an exposure to the center of the meter, and know that it's going to be 2/3 of a stop over nominal because of that exposure compensation being applied.

Re: Exposure compensation. 4 years 10 months ago #1035

• Mistery
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 16
I must have been on crack when I wrote what I wrote. I was talking about bracketing...sorry for the bad information.
D800 w/grip, D700 w/grip,V1,14-24mm F/2.8, 24-70mm F/2.8, 70-200mm F/2.8, 200-400mm F/4, 105mm,F/2.8,35mm F/1.4,35mm F/1.8, 85mm F/1.4,1.7x Tele

Re: Exposure compensation. 4 years 10 months ago #1037

• Josh Waters
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Thanks for the insight guys... i do shoot in manual most of the time, so when i do need an exposure change i adjust my exposure instead of the compensation. with all the little buttons it seems like some get left out. it's nice to know when and when not to use them.