Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Best Settings for Photographing Lightning?

Best Settings for Photographing Lightning? 4 years 6 months ago #1440

• Christian Udarbe
  • Gold Boarder
  • Just go out and shoot
  • Thank you received: 12
Having missed out on some interesting lightning display just a few hours ago, I feel like taking shots of them by tomorrow night since the forecast is the same for tomorrow night plus I am going to a resort of sorts tomorrow so I'll have a clearer sky in terms of not that many buildings, light pollution, etc.

I was thinking ISO 200-400, shutter at 4 seconds, at least f/16, and focused at infinity... would these be good enough for lightning?

Of course, the settings is just half the challenge, having to point my camera at the right direction and having to press the shutter is another challenge LOL

A medical student;
A musician;
A photographer;
ITS ALL AN ART

Blogger
Facebook
Flickr
Twitter: @ChanUdarbe

Add me up!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Best Settings for Photographing Lightning? 4 years 6 months ago #1444

• Pacman
  • Fresh Boarder
I've done a little bit of lightning, and found that sometimes it's a little trial and error. if you take one and it's not bright enough then adjust your iso higher or aperture lower...things like that. you may not quite need f16 - a couple fstops lower may be fine since you'll be focused probably at least a mile away right...
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

Re: Best Settings for Photographing Lightning? 4 years 6 months ago #1445

• Christian Udarbe
  • Gold Boarder
  • Just go out and shoot
  • Thank you received: 12
Got back from my trip, the lightning storm was at such a bad location so I can't take any photos of it. I did however cooked up what I think is good settings (not the best) for shooting lightning:

Set the shutter to bulb mode
Use a small aperture; I stuck with f/16
Manual focus at infinity
ISO at least 200-400 or even the lowest if you want

Then have your remote open the shutter and then its just a case of waiting for the streak of light. I tried these settings and it did work, but like I said, the lightning were at a bad location, so I couldn't get the long enough streaks...

A medical student;
A musician;
A photographer;
ITS ALL AN ART

Blogger
Facebook
Flickr
Twitter: @ChanUdarbe

Add me up!