Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: What size card

What size card 4 years 6 months ago #1516

• Winston
  • Fresh Boarder
I have been asked to photography a conference and I was wondering if it would be best to use 8GB or 16GB memory cards.It seems if I got 16GB they cost less per shot,but wonder if there was a risk with such large cards in my Nikon D700.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: What size card 4 years 6 months ago #1517

• Conor Casey
  • Thank you received: 55
I can only speak for myself and my personal experiences here but I use both 4GB and 8GB Sandisk SDHC cards and they both work fine.

While having one 16GB card is cheaper and more convenient, there is a risk it could crash and you could lose all your photos. That said, most SDHC cards are pretty well made and you can buy "tough" versions of the card which are freeze-proof, fire-proof, shock-proof (and other proofs too) just in case. I guess there is a risk of the cards crashing but usually that only happens with generic models and shouldn't generally happen if you buy Samsung or Sandisk etc.

That said, do you want to take that risk? While there is a low probability they will crash, I had an 8GB Sandisk card a few years ago that crashed on me and never worked after that. I was lucky though that I had the photos saved on the computer. And the camera shop I bought it in gave me a replacement so it really wasn't a big deal for me. But if that had happened to me after a day of shooting and I hadn't saved the photos, I would have been pretty angry.

Personally, as I said, I use a 4GB and an 8GB for extra security and I advise you to do the same, especially if it is an important shoot and losing photos due to crashing or void cards would be a disaster. Two 8GB cards should be a good balance between convenience, price and general peace of mind.

Good luck with the shoot,
- Conor.
Conor Casey
Flickr
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

Re: What size card 4 years 6 months ago #1519

• Winston
  • Fresh Boarder
Many thanks for this I will go for the 8GB cards

Re: What size card 4 years 6 months ago #1520

I also prefer shooting 8GB or smaller cards. IMO the only reason to shoot larger ones is for video.