Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Aspect ratio

Aspect ratio 4 years 3 months ago #1875

What aspect ratio do you recommend shooting in for crop sensor DSLR's? Usually a 4:3 works fine, but when shooting tight in it doesn't work well when printing above a 4x6 because it crops out too much of the subject. Please help!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Aspect ratio 4 years 3 months ago #1876

• Roy van Ommen
  • Creative minds for all!
  • Thank you received: 86
Hi there,

Welcome to the forums :)

Well.. i have to say, personally i have never changed that. So i cannot answer this question..

Maybe someone else can...

Good luck.
Greetings,
Roy
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shelly Flangan
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

Re: Aspect ratio 4 years 3 months ago #1881

• Andrew Olson
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
The aspect ratio of pretty much all dslrs today is 2x3. Full frame being 24x36mm and crop sensors being around 22x15mm give or take a little, which gives you the 2x3 ratio. I have not heard of any crop dslr that can shoot in crop modes, I have only heard of that in the full frame cameras, more specifically the Nikon full frame cameras. Not sure if Canon offers crop modes on their FF models.

But then again if the camera you are shooting is a crop sensor, why choose to shoot a crop of that when it is already a crop sensor? What camera are you using?

4x3 is a lot narrower than 2x3 and you will have the sides cut off from the 2x3 to achieve the 4x3 ratio. 4x3 is very close to 4x5 or 8x10 ratio, which gives you prints like 8x10, 16x20 etc.

2x3 prints go from 4x6 to 6x9, 8x12, 16x24, 20x30 etc. 2x3 ratio is more landscape than 4x3 which is why the sides will be cut off when you crop it to 4x3.

I would recommend just shooting in the normal 2x3 and crop later if need be. Just give yourself cropping room if you can.

Andy