Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Prints, Frames and Automobiles

Prints, Frames and Automobiles 4 years 3 months ago #2148

• Paul Ciura
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Nikon D7000, Tokina 50-135 f/2.8
Ok maybe not automobiles, but prints and frames for sure :P .

To get another discussion going, I am going to ask a few quick questions, so please feel free to chime in.

I have finally started to print some of my work to hang in the house, so I am going through this process right now. It got me thinking on how other people go about this.
  1. Do you keep the aspect ratio of the photo, or do you crop to fit the standard frame sizes?
  2. If you don't crop for standard frame size, where do you get your frames at?
  3. Do you cut your own mats? If so, what is your mat cutter of choice?
  4. Do you go with acrylic, or glass?

On my end, I don't like to crop to standard size. I like to keep my photo the way I took it. As I am experiencing this now, it's a bit more pain in the ass to get the 3:2 aspect ratio frames.

After some research I think I found the place where I will order the first batch of frames from.

My next goal is to get the Logan 750 mat cutter for my custom mats. I might entertain the idea of DIYing my own frames as well.

What are your thoughts?
-Paul Ciura
www.paulciura.com
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Prints, Frames and Automobiles 4 years 3 months ago #2153

I often print photos with custom ratios. I prefer to take them to my local picture framer and have her do it right with matte, glass and molding.
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

Re: Prints, Frames and Automobiles 4 years 3 months ago #2156

• Ruslan
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Nikon D7000 w/ 35mm 1.8 ... at least for now
  • Thank you received: 2
Ok So that means using a professional lab for prints, i ran in to issues with this i had to crop my pictures in order to get my prints from local costco. I need to find local lab in the future

Re: Prints, Frames and Automobiles 4 years 3 months ago #2170

• Conor Casey
  • Thank you received: 55
1. I usually keep the aspect ratio of the photo and do not crop to fit the standard sizes.

2. I, like Greg, go to a local framer and he can do up the custom stuff. I find it better than going with a standard frame size; plus I like supporting local businesses. The quality of the frame and glass is usually better than a cheaper, standard frame too.

3. No.

4. I always go with glass. Much better quality in my opinion.
Conor Casey
Flickr

Re: Prints, Frames and Automobiles 4 years 3 months ago #2174

Ruslan wrote:
Ok So that means using a professional lab for prints, i ran in to issues with this i had to crop my pictures in order to get my prints from local costco. I need to find local lab in the future

Not at all! Just add a bit of white space to 'fill in' the area outside of the 'normal' print area then ask them to cut off the white. I'll add this to my list of videos.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Roy van Ommen

Re: Prints, Frames and Automobiles 4 years 3 months ago #2180

• Ruslan
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Nikon D7000 w/ 35mm 1.8 ... at least for now
  • Thank you received: 2
That's a great tip. Thanks Greg

Re: Prints, Frames and Automobiles 4 years 3 months ago #2199

• Roy van Ommen
  • Creative minds for all!
  • Thank you received: 86
Gregory Cazillo wrote:
Ruslan wrote:

Not at all! Just add a bit of white space to 'fill in' the area outside of the 'normal' print area then ask them to cut off the white. I'll add this to my list of videos.

I have to say thank you for that one! That tip is awsome and already used it and it works great!

Thanks for the tip!

Greetings,
Roy