Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: edited photoshop complain

edited photoshop complain 4 years 1 month ago #2405

This topic comes up often think, but I think we should talk about it. Lost of people complain about photos been edited. I can read this almost everywhere around the internet.

A few days ago I published my photos about a small festival which has recently been in the nearby town. The photos have been uploaded to to festival facebook page. And people start to complain saying these photos are to artistic, not realistic. I say diferent. Ok not all comment are negative, but there are always ppl put negativ on anything.

Almost all the photos I take and publish are edited. I only use Lightroom 3-4 with some free plugins. I think editing is a big thing, and it need to be done.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: edited photoshop complain 4 years 1 month ago #2406

• Roy van Ommen
  • Creative minds for all!
  • Thank you received: 86
Hi there! Welcome to the forum!

Well, i talk on this forum about my own opinion and about my own expirience. That can be different from what other people do and think like Greg's opinion. But hey! Thats whats a forum is made for.

So, i really think, that editting is a very important thing in photography. Maybe even the most important thing. With that said, i have to say that i edit my images like i want them to see. So when i am in a job for the news paper, i know that my images can't be editted to the extreme, because thats not what the newspaper wants, it want the reality.

You have to decide what kind of style you take. When you take images at a concert from people, it will not be appriciated if you put a red nose on them, but when you make the ambiance better, or the lights better or what ever, nobody can nag because you are creating the images and thats your style.

At photograpy you have 2 types of viewers. People who like your images, and people who dislike your images. And you have to handle that. Its your own style and you edit your images like you want. And if you publish some images, you are proud on it otherwise you would have deleted them.

So keep that in mind. Do your own business. Besides creating what the client wants, decide what you want to deliver. Sometimes you can better deliver what you stand for, than delivering images which makes you uncomfortable ;)

Sorry for my crappy English, but i think its understandable ;)

Greetings.
Roy

P.s. I would like to see those images from you ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Miklos Makrai
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

Re: edited photoshop complain 4 years 1 month ago #2421

Thank you for your answer.
As Im just a amateur hobby photographer I dont have to worry about how I edit my photos cause for me its a entertainment, but for future plan I might be a full time job some day. Im only worry about my editing cause I never been learn photoshop. Im kind of person who learn these thing autodidact.

The pictures are here: plus.google.com/u/0/photos/1177621280124.../5798862011425575585 I have some more but those photos have there right place on flickr in the near future.

Btw your english is good, unlike mine:)

Re: edited photoshop complain 4 years 1 month ago #2425

I am a big proponent of editing also, but I disagree with Roy, editing is NOT the most important part of photography. Many, many things can be fixed or improved in photographs before the image is captured. Want a bluer sky? Add a graduated filter. Want sharper images? Make sure you are using your camera correctly. Editing is only about 25% of the process...very important but not imperative. I edit everything but sometimes I do wish I could just shoot and not edit.

Re: edited photoshop complain 4 years 1 month ago #2426

• Roy van Ommen
Gregory Cazillo wrote:
I am a big proponent of editing also, but I disagree with Roy, editing is NOT the most important part of photography. Many, many things can be fixed or improved in photographs before the image is captured. Want a bluer sky? Add a graduated filter. Want sharper images? Make sure you are using your camera correctly. Editing is only about 25% of the process...very important but not imperative. I edit everything but sometimes I do wish I could just shoot and not edit.

Sorry Greg, i have to set this right. My point was related to someone who does it right in the camera.

I think that seeing and creating the image is rule one in photography. After that, you can get to the point that you fine tune your images before you are going into procesing..

I have to say, everytime you get a better image out of your camera, the processing is becomming less important. But in the beginning, you have to correct stuff, and if you correct stuff, you can know what to do better next time :)

Re: edited photoshop complain 4 years 1 month ago #2428

• roy panaguiton
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
coming from an amateur who loves to edit photos. I think it all depends on what you shoot. some takes less editing like sir Greg said its only 25% and most people I know its 50%. as Greg's shirt says "I create photos" or something in that line. if you don't have all the gears needed photoshop is your best friend. or LR :)
just don't overdo your edit. like making a person looks too glamorous that they look plasticky already. there are photo contest that all photos entered are SOOC.
for me since I love HDR. its like its 75% of the work.
you create your own photos. express them in what ever which way you like. not all people will like them. and most of them don't intend to discourage you but its just not their style(maybe) :)
good luck and keep shooting
roy
Last Edit: 4 years 1 month ago by roy panaguiton.

Re: edited photoshop complain 4 years 3 weeks ago #2458

• Roy van Ommen
Thats right Roy, the thing i was trying to say is that along the way of a photography carreer, its your own choice and style on how much you spend in photoshop.

Even if you spend 8 hours for 1 image in photoshop, if you get paid for the work and time you put in to, why not!

Hope we answered some of your questions :)