Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Photographic New Year Resolutions

Photographic New Year Resolutions 3 years 11 months ago #2604

• Conor Casey
  • Thank you received: 55
So we are at the very last day of the year today, or if you are reading this in the future, sometime in mysterious 2013! :P

I am wondering if anyone here has any resolutions for the New Year for their photography? Is there a subject you really want to shoot? A piece of equipment you want to purchase in 2013? Want to try film? It can be anything to do with photography, let me know. :side: And try and make them resolutions that you will actually stick to, not like when people say they will lose weight or something and they work really hard for the first two weeks and then they give up completely. :P

Personally, I have a few that I hope to stick to. I would firstly simply like to get out more and shoot. Lately I have been very lazy and just haven't really taken many photos. I guess this is partly to do with the weather and partly to do with my own lack of motivation. But in 2013, I want to just go out and shoot more. I would also like to upload more photos here or on Flickr. My main reason for not uploading recently is I have a new computer on order where I hope to run PS/Lightroom. It's delayed though and I have no computer that can edit. I am sharing my brother's computer, to his disgust!

So they are my resolutions, if you have any for your photography, let us know. Thanks and Happy New Year!
Conor Casey
Flickr
Last Edit: 3 years 11 months ago by Conor Casey.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Photographic New Year Resolutions 3 years 11 months ago #2614

Yup! Tons of new videos and some other (big) projects on cazillo.com. As for other resolutions I want to continue losing weight.
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

Photographic New Year Resolutions 3 years 11 months ago #2616

• Roy van Ommen
  • Creative minds for all!
  • Thank you received: 86
Gregory Cazillo wrote:
Yup! Tons of new videos and some other (big) projects on cazillo.com. As for other resolutions I want to continue losing weight.

Great to hear Greg! We are looking forward to it. As for your weight resolution, i think its very good of you you can name it... You can talk about it and thats a big plus!

For my own resolutions, i am opening a new studio in town here. Hope to get a couple of employees so i have more time for other things like making movies. I am also coöperating with someone who records video and edits it very well. So maybe thats a kind of business i am going into... I am thinking about buying his company to let him work together with my company and share the profit.. But i have to see what happens.

In personal life, i am satisfied. I have a girlfriend and have everything set. I bought a cat so she is coming this thursday so i am looking forward to that :)

Well... there are my, not totally photographic, resolutions :)

Photographic New Year Resolutions 3 years 11 months ago #2618

• Mistery
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 16
I plan to get more into using flashes. I already own two SB-700’s, two Manfrotto light stands with two 44” umbrellas.

In the past two weeks I bought a Sekonic L-758cine light meter, SB-900, Pocket wizards (mini tt1, 3 flex tt5’s, AC3), Manfrotto boom stand. In the next month or two I’ll be getting some soft boxes and a Nikon 85mm F/1.4.

Anyone recommend some good soft boxes to use with flashes?

Personally I’m hoping to actually bring my son home from the hospital who has been there since he was born September 27th.
D800 w/grip, D700 w/grip,V1,14-24mm F/2.8, 24-70mm F/2.8, 70-200mm F/2.8, 200-400mm F/4, 105mm,F/2.8,35mm F/1.4,35mm F/1.8, 85mm F/1.4,1.7x Tele

Photographic New Year Resolutions 3 years 11 months ago #2625

For small boxes I really like my Honl system. for larger boxes over 1' I use Photoflex.

Photographic New Year Resolutions 3 years 11 months ago #2626

• Mistery
  • Expert Boarder
Do you happen to have any opinions on Fotodiox?
D800 w/grip, D700 w/grip,V1,14-24mm F/2.8, 24-70mm F/2.8, 70-200mm F/2.8, 200-400mm F/4, 105mm,F/2.8,35mm F/1.4,35mm F/1.8, 85mm F/1.4,1.7x Tele

Photographic New Year Resolutions 3 years 11 months ago #2627

I haven't used them, sorry.

Photographic New Year Resolutions 3 years 11 months ago #2628

• Mistery
  • Expert Boarder
Looks like Photoflex would be better for actual studio lighting, but I need something that is very portable. I guess I need to watch more of your videos as well.

Photographic New Year Resolutions 3 years 11 months ago #2630

• Erik Ballew
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 30
If there is one thing I need to work on this year, it is silencing the part of my head that tells me my work sucks, and I'm not good enough.

Other than that, I might try making some kind of indoor studio. I kind of think studio work is boring, but it will probably help bring a bit more business my way.
Last Edit: 3 years 11 months ago by Erik Ballew.

Photographic New Year Resolutions 3 years 10 months ago #2653

• AJ Cadena
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Hello All, my first post here and found this topic appropriate for my 'coming out'.

First off, Greg you have done a fantastic job with this website. You, and the members of this forum, have inspired me to dive into photographing more seriously. I now shoot in manual only, and raw....adobe lightroom is the nuts.

I've become a better photographer; what I enjoy the most, bringing smiles to my friends and family when they view photos.

Resolution....I too will be keeping an eye on the waistline (Greg, you are doing very well). Photography wise, learning how to harness the power of flash and strobes. Purchased an SB-700 for Christmas; I had a hoot of a time. Need to practice a bit more; along with recently purchased AlienB800. We'll see what I move into; I have, and will continue, taking photos my friends and family; getting in as much practice as possible.

Keep up the great work Greg, we all very much appreciate your labor of love.

Cheers from Rochester, NY
AJ

Photographic New Year Resolutions 3 years 10 months ago #2654

• Erin
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
I resolve to finally charge people to take pictures :)
I'm not nearly as good as most of the Cazillions but I've talked with families who have paid a lot of $$$ for photos that are equal to the quality I can give them.
I also resolve to practice more. The more I practice, the better I get. Even if I'm a slow learner :)

Outside of photography - I resolve to exercise more!
Family life: couldn't be better! Happily married to the best guy ever and we have 2 amazing little ones.
Last Edit: 3 years 10 months ago by Erin.

Photographic New Year Resolutions 3 years 10 months ago #2658

I have plenty of goals this year. One specifically is to really learn who I am as a photographer, or basically recognize my style of shooting and the kind of photographs that I mostly admire. Another is to get much better equipment. I have a big dream. Becoming a professional photographer and being full time is a huge part of it, so my goal is to make it happen.