Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: What settings boost vibrance and color

What settings boost vibrance and color 3 years 10 months ago #3192

I have a Canon xsi with the 18-55 mm factory kit lens, Canon 50mm 1.8 and a Sigma 70-300mm 4-5.6. I have tried time and time again to get that bright vibrance with saturated color in my shots but success always evades me. I have toyed around with the settings with the picture styles, changing the saturation, color tone and contrast. No matter what I do I just can't seem to get that saturated color. I have tried the settings with all three lenses.
I'm just at a point where i'm extremely frustrated and sometimes I feel like giving up on advancing my abilities and just leaving my camera on full auto and snapping ordinary blah pictures. That is however, the last thing i want to do. Can someone please rescue me from mediocrity?
Account used exclusively for moving questions from Photography Answers section on Cazillo.com.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

What settings boost vibrance and color 3 years 10 months ago #3254

First and foremost you must make sure you are exposing correctly. All digital cameras should be able to produce good, vibrant images if exposure is correct. Check this post cazillo.com/articles/37-photography/222-...our-photographs.html and watch the videos, making sure you understand the basics.
Account used exclusively for moving questions from Photography Answers section on Cazillo.com.
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

What settings boost vibrance and color 3 years 10 months ago #3255

Are you shooting in RAW or JPEG? If you are only shooting in JPEG then follow Greg's advice and check out those vids. Actually, check them out either way!

If you are shooting in RAW, are you doing any post processing of your images? If not, that could be the whole problem right there. Correct me if i'm wrong, but, I believe most of the setting that are applied from on-camera for saturation, sharpening, etc. only apply to the JPEG image that is processed and produced by the camera. So, changing them won't make a difference when you open the RAW file on your computer or print them out.

If you are shooting RAW and aren't doing post processing, then that would be the first thing I would suggest. I know this statement isn't absolute...but generally speaking...you will get your best results in post processing, especially for RAW files.

It shouldn't take much tweaking in post to get those images to really pop if you got the exposure correct. Personally, I don't mess with any of the on-camera settings for picture styles, contrast, etc...I do all my adjustments in post with Light Room. Do you have any examples of your work to share for review? Flickr account maybe?