Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: When using manual mode, do you meter at zero

When using manual mode, do you meter at zero 3 years 10 months ago #3193

When using manual mode, do you always want to have your metering at the 0?
Account used exclusively for moving questions from Photography Answers section on Cazillo.com.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

When using manual mode, do you meter at zero 3 years 10 months ago #3257

Its a good starting point, yes. You want to get a normal exposure then evaluate it with the screen and histogram, adjusting as necessary. Sometimes the foreground might be a little underexposed because of a bright sky or a portrait in front of a window that is backlit. Other times I suggest intentionally underexposing, sunsets are a good example of when I almost always underexpose.
Account used exclusively for moving questions from Photography Answers section on Cazillo.com.
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

When using manual mode, do you meter at zero 3 years 10 months ago #3258

Depending on how it's metering it's telling you if it's under or ever exposed before you take the photo right? - also, I have a Canon 50mm 1.8 (i know, cheap lens), but alot of times if I leave it in the middle it will under expose, i almost always have to make the meter show it's 1 or 2 stops overexposed for it to turn out right...I guess it's just that lens.

When using manual mode, do you meter at zero 3 years 10 months ago #3259

Seems to depend on the camera. I like my pictures a bit better if I expose 1/3 or 2/3 overexposed (Nikon D5000).

When using manual mode, do you meter at zero 3 years 10 months ago #3260

for me same.

I dont wanna say something wrong but as far as I know, you get more data from the photo if you overexpose rather than underexpose. thats why I do also like to have slightly overexpose but ofcourse for some exceptions like gregory said use underexposure

When using manual mode, do you meter at zero 3 years 10 months ago #3261

It depends for me... Most of the time its spot on zero; others, I have 1/3 stop higher or lower. If you feel that your normal exposed shot needs more light, or vice versa, then by all means, tinker by setting the exposures 1/3 or 2/3 above or below.