Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Depth of field and aperture

Depth of field and aperture 3 years 9 months ago #3202

I watched the tutorial on the 1/3-2/3 rule for depth of field. Are there anymore "rules" for shooting casual portraits such as the best aperture? I shoot with a Canon xsi and use a Canon 50mm f1.8 as my portrait lens.
Account used exclusively for moving questions from Photography Answers section on Cazillo.com.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Depth of field and aperture 3 years 9 months ago #3278

I need to make a video on that...50mm lenses are not 'portrait' lenses since they don't give you realistic images at all focal lengths. For tight headshots it will distort the image. Portrait lenses don't do that.

Other rules you should be aware of are composition rules such as rule of thirds, merger, lines, s curves, triangles, etc. Spend some time shooting in a relaxed situation or for testing to get used to how your lens/camera behaves at different apertures and focal lengths. Just remember the closer your subject (focal length) the shallower your DoF.
Account used exclusively for moving questions from Photography Answers section on Cazillo.com.
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

Depth of field and aperture 3 years 8 months ago #3637

• Jose Cruz
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
I have seen photos of subjects shot at smaller apetures upclose,but I thought at f11 it wouldn't work because of dof.can someone explain why?:/

Depth of field and aperture 3 years 8 months ago #3645

The closer the camera is to the subject the shallower your DOF gets, does that answer your question?

Depth of field and aperture 3 years 8 months ago #3653

• Jose Cruz
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
At a shallow dof ,wouldn't it be better to use a wider aperture?

Depth of field and aperture 3 years 8 months ago #3655

If thats what you would like to create, depends on the photograph and how shallow of a depth of field you really want.