Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: shoot to the rigth

shoot to the rigth 3 years 9 months ago #3342

• Marcelo Canda
  • Junior Boarder
  • I love photography!!
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi Greg!

I want to ask you a question about SHOOT TO THE RIGHT, I am a bit confuse about what to meter...
IMO...I think I have to meter the shadows so I will have details there, in other way I lose information if I meter the highlights...
Is that right? I must meter the shadows so I push the histogram to the right?
Is this in the practice what you mean with shoot to the right, is it clear my question?
Or in other way..I meter zone V and I open one or two stops so I over exposed (going to the rigth as much as I can) so I have enough data "to play with lightroom"

It is the same as Ansel Adams said about exposed for the shadows and print for the highlights

Thanks again...and I will keep mailing you.
Marcelo aka MCPhotography
from Buenos Aires,Argentina
The administrator has disabled public write access.

shoot to the rigth 3 years 9 months ago #3343

• Matt Duffie
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
First off, Shoot in RAW if you aren't already.
And yes, expose for the highlighted side of the face. Leave the shadows dark. (I find it looks better to bring back detail in the shadows rather than trying to bring back details in over-exposed regions.)

If the side of their face is too dark, you may want to consider using a fill flash, depending on what kind of picture you are wanting to take.

That's just how I personally do it myself, but if you do it a different way, and it looks good, then go with what you like.
Just have fun with it, and see what looks best to you!
Last Edit: 3 years 9 months ago by Matt Duffie.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Marcelo Canda
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

shoot to the rigth 3 years 9 months ago #3349

• Bill
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 25
The concept is to not to overexpose but to expose to the shadows with out blowing out the highlights. The reason for doing it this way is to help eliminate grain in the shadow region if you raise the exposure later. You can always lower your exposure as long as you've not blown out the highlight. I'll see if I can get a couple of pics up to show you why :D

shoot to the rigth 3 years 9 months ago #3376

• Roy van Ommen
  • Creative minds for all!
  • Thank you received: 86
Well.. Greg will hang me up for this ;)

I really do not use the Histogram. If you know about the histogram, you can use it to finetune your images. But if you do not know how to use it, you are probably not ready for that yet.

Try to get your images good on screen. After that, you can finetune your images.

Put your camera on a tripod and put on liveview. Activate your histogram and see what its doing while you change the settings.

You can see on your camera screen what the camera is doing. So you know for the next time, if you miss some contrast, or miss some shaduws, play with your settings and see what the histogram is doing. I think thats the best way to learn your histogram.

Greetings,
Roy

shoot to the rigth 3 years 9 months ago #3399

• Josh Waters
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Just my two cents here. Maybe there's slight confusion on shooting to the right(histogram) and metering.

This is my personal preference... I swapped direction of my meter so it shows underexposed to the left and overexposed to the right. The default was opposite and seemed backwards to me. So when metering, it's easy to conceptualize "shooting to the right" and metering going in the same direction.

I also have chosen to display the highlights, histogram, and data for image review but tend to use the highlights for the quick review as my gauge for a good exposer.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jose Cruz, Marcelo Canda