Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Focusing tips for Candid Photos/critique??

Focusing tips for Candid Photos/critique?? 3 years 9 months ago #3363

• Gabe
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Hey Cazillions!
Im looking for focusing tips when taking candid shots. Im using a Nikon D3200. Ive bounced back and forth between Single Point AF and Dynamic AF, yet my photos still come out slightly out of focus. I also set my Focus Mode to Continuous-Servo AF. In the image below, my focus point was on the left lens of the sunglasses. My daughter slightly tilted her head as I took the photo and this was the result.

For this photo, I probably could have bumped up the ISO to give me a faster shutter but this is typically my result with most of Candid shots

www.flickr.com/photos/92088911@N05/8474615449/
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Julie Natonabah

Focusing tips for Candid Photos/critique?? 3 years 9 months ago #3364

• Bill
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 25
I would start with raising the shutter speed, 1/10 exposure is going to be hard to keep in focus.(I struggle with this also!) The rule of thumb is that the shutter speed should be 1/[Focal Length], so at 55mm you should shoot around 1/50. I would try that and see if things improve.

-Bill
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gabe
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

Focusing tips for Candid Photos/critique?? 3 years 9 months ago #3367

• Gabe
  • Expert Boarder
Thanks Bill. Yeah 1/10 is a little too slow. The photo was mainly for reference as most of my candid shots come out about the same. I think I answered my own question though. By increasing my ISO, I can get a higher shutter speed.

Would you recommend using spot metering or matrix metering when shooting candids? I currently use spot when Im zoomed in tight on my subject.

Focusing tips for Candid Photos/critique?? 3 years 9 months ago #3375

• Roy van Ommen
  • Creative minds for all!
  • Thank you received: 86
Hi there,

I have the following tips for you.

When you are shooting candid shots, and the subject is standing still, try to use One Shot focus mode (so you click your shutter button and it locks in). try to focus always on the eyes as the eye is the most importart thing to have fully in focus.

Try to get faster shutterspeeds to freeze the action. That will also help.

Try to keep the camera as steady as you can. You took a position under the model in here which can be unstable if you don't stand properly. So maybe that will help also.

Good luck on it :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gabe, Julie Natonabah

Focusing tips for Candid Photos/critique?? 3 years 9 months ago #3400

• Gabe
  • Expert Boarder
Thanks guys. Increasing the shutter greatly improved the quality of my images. Switching to aperture priority also helped. Not a 100% satisfied but definite improvement over my first post. Thanks again