Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Issues with Panoramas

Issues with Panoramas 3 years 7 months ago #3915

• Gabe
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Hey Cazillions,
Need your help once again. I was wondering if any of you know how to resolve an issue with blending when creating panoramic images. In the image below, the horizon is...choppy. Im using CS6. This seems to be an issue with about half of the panos I take. I dont know how else to describe it so Ive circled the problem areas. Once again, thanks in advance for your help

Untitled_Panorama2 issue by GNM Photos, on Flickr
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Issues with Panoramas 3 years 7 months ago #3916

• Gabe
  • Expert Boarder
Can one of the Mods move this to the appropriate group. Thanks
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

Issues with Panoramas 3 years 7 months ago #3917

• Roy van Ommen
  • Creative minds for all!
  • Thank you received: 86
There are two moderators ;) Me and Greg.

Anyway, moved the topic.

I can't really answer your question. I use a lot of Content Aware Fill in Photoshop.

I made a video about it, but its in Dutch. So if you mute the sound, you can follow the steps.

Issues with Panoramas 3 years 7 months ago #3920

• Conor Casey
  • Thank you received: 55
When shooting Panoramas, there are a couple of things to remember.

Firstly, you should try and get everything as straight as possible in the camera. Align your shot, in this case the horizon line, carefully before deciding to shoot. Using a tripod is best.

Use manual focus so as your plane of focus is not changing with each individual shot.

Shoot lots of shots so PS has lots of info to work with. Make sure you have at least a 1/3 overlap for each shot. I think the problem here is that you haven't shot enough photos and PS has got confused.

Once you have blended them and you find the horizon still isn't straight, I think you can select each individual layer and use the move tool to straighten it.

Also, remember to apply the same editing to all shots when you are processing in Camera Raw.

If you get the horizon straight in camera, use a tripod and shoot a lot of shots with a good overlap, I think your problems here should be resolved.
Conor Casey
Flickr

Issues with Panoramas 3 years 7 months ago #3923

• Conor Casey
  • Thank you received: 55
Also, I love this photo from your Flickr page.

Shades of Sound 2.0 by GNM Photos, on Flickr

Great shot. :)
Conor Casey
Flickr
Last Edit: 3 years 7 months ago by Conor Casey.

Issues with Panoramas 3 years 7 months ago #3925

• Gabe
  • Expert Boarder
Thank you sir. Black and whites are my strongest images. I started with BW film many years ago.

As for the panos, I do use a tripod and stay pretty level. If not, I straighten in Lightroom prior to processing the pano. Most of my images are overlapping by 50%. I think you may be right about the number of images. This image is composed of about 6 images. Keep in mind, I shot this around 18mm and the scene is really not that large (wide?). I might do more images on my next run.

What gets me is I took a similar image that same day and the horizon is perfect (in the process of editing right now). So Im not sure what changed between the 2. Im trying to find another example so upload and give more info about how it was shot.

@Roy, thanks for moving the post. Ive tried content-aware, Ive tried cloning, but the result is not as crisp as I had hoped. And thank you for the video. I will take a look later. The nice thing about vids and photos is the language is universal ;)