Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Favourite Photographers

Favourite Photographer 3 years 3 months ago #4827

• Conor Casey
  • Thank you received: 55
Hi everyone,

I've been reading a very good book recently called "20th Century Photography" which has made me wonder whether the people on here have a favourite photographer, or a photographer whose work they really admire? I'd love to hear about it. :)

I'll kick it off. As someone who shoots landscapes a lot and who likes to be outside, I firstly really admire the work of the great Ansel Adams. He's probably the most famous photographer of all time but for a good reason too. I am a big fan of his images.

Secondly, not because I see myself as having a similar style as him but simply because his images are so good, I also like Henri Cartier-Bresson's work. I have read a bit about him and I think there is certainly something in that "waiting for the decisive moment" thing that he talks about.

I recently discovered a German photographer called August Sander who did wonderful portraits of people in his quest to form a photographic encyclopaedia of the German people. Check him out; as a student of German, I found them very interesting indeed.

I have others I could list too but don't want to name too many at once because although I could post away, I don't want to go too mad in case people are not interested. :P

I know we often talk about photography techniques and critique our own images but I think it would be interesting to look at the work of the greats too and I think we can learn a lot from them.

Hopefully if this interests people, we can get some good discussion going.

Thanks.
Conor Casey
Flickr
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Favourite Photographer 3 years 3 months ago #4832

• Luke
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 11
I term of modern portraiture I really like the work of Joel Grimes. I have heard some people say that they really hate his style so I guess you either love it or hate it, but I find his work striking and interesting. Some people really hate HDR, and the Idea of doing HDR portraiture could sound horrific but I think he does it well.

Arthur Morris captures some great wildlife images, mostly to do with birds

In the world of railway I love the work of Brian Solomon. He really seems to be able to capture the mood and emotion of the moments in his railway portraiture, along with some grand landscapes and atmospheric looks and what may otherwise be mundane infrastructure.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Conor Casey
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

Favourite Photographer 3 years 2 months ago #4893

• Conor Casey
Thanks for replying Luke.

I had never heard of Joel Grimes but took a look there and I must say that I actually surprisingly like the look of some of his stuff. What he's doing is a bit different from most other people so while it wouldn't be my personal style, I do like to see photographers being adventurous and embracing different styles.

Anyone else want to chime in? :)
Conor Casey
Flickr

Favourite Photographer 3 years 2 months ago #4909

• Roy van Ommen
  • Creative minds for all!
  • Thank you received: 86
Nice topic Conor. I must say that all these photographers are fantastic. I really like those images although its not always my style.

Personally, i am inspired by a Dutch photographer Erwin Olaf
(www.erwinolaf.com/)

He has some different styles and sometimes when i need some inspiration for some shoots i will look at his portfolio and gather some ideas... :)

So yeah.. thats why.

Greetings,
Roy
The following user(s) said Thank You: Conor Casey

Favourite Photographer 3 years 1 month ago #5154

• Conor Casey
So, I don't know if anyone else on here follows the wonderful Ted Forbes on Youtube from The Art of Photography, but this week he did a very interesting video on August Sander, which I would like to share with everyone who's interested:

If you have any interest in photography, especially the history of photography, famous photographers and styles/genres of photography, I think Ted Forbes is well worth following.

You should check out some of his other videos on other photographers too, if you're interested. Very interesting subject matter and as I've said before, I think studying the work of famous photographers can make us better photographers.

Roy van Ommen wrote:
(www.erwinolaf.com/)

He has some different styles and sometimes when i need some inspiration for some shoots i will look at his portfolio and gather some ideas... :)

Thanks for sharing this Roy. I must admit, I have just become a big fan of this Olaf fellow; he's got some really inspiring work on there. I love the set of portraits where the person's face is not shown.

Thanks for sharing Roy. :)
Conor Casey
Flickr
Last Edit: 3 years 1 month ago by Conor Casey.

Favourite Photographer 3 years 1 month ago #5156

• Roy van Ommen
Roy van Ommen wrote:
(www.erwinolaf.com/)

Thanks for sharing this Roy. I must admit, I have just become a big fan of this Olaf fellow; he's got some really inspiring work on there. I love the set of portraits where the person's face is not shown.

Thanks for sharing Roy. :)[/quote]

Hi Conor,

You're more than welcome. I think its a big compliment that you like his images. :) I will tell him for sure.

I will check out your video you posted.

Greetings,
Roy

Favourite Photographer 3 years 1 month ago #5195

• Conor Casey
Thanks Roy. :)

Anyone familiar with the German born, French photographer, Jean-Michel Berts? If you follow Serge Ramelli on Youtube, you will probably be very familiar with his work.

He has an instantly recognisable style of black and white images which I quite like. I have heard people say they do not like his work at all so I'd be keen to hear what people think of him. :)

Closer to home, I am also a fan of the work of Philip Pankov, a Russian born photographer, who lives and works in Ireland and, like Jean-Michel Berts, shoots exclusively in black and white. My parents too, like his work, and we have some of his work hanging on the walls at home!

Thanks everyone. :)
Conor Casey
Flickr
Last Edit: 3 years 1 month ago by Conor Casey.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Roy van Ommen

Favourite Photographer 3 years 1 month ago #5201

• Roy van Ommen
Oh By the Way,

Erwin Olaf has proved that he is not only a good photographer, but also a designer ;)

He is selected as designer for the new Euro coin because we have a new king. He created this:

www.nieuws.nl/media/ard3gi1ukmvzttdr4gp9pd1ae

Greetings,
Roy

Favourite Photographer 3 years 4 weeks ago #5209

• Conor Casey
He designed that coin!? Wow, that's amazing! I'm sure I've held a €2 coin in my hand with that exact design on it. Amazing! :cheer:

Also, I know it was a few months ago, but now that you mention it, congratulations on your new King in the Netherlands, Roy. :)
Conor Casey
Flickr

Favourite Photographer 3 years 4 weeks ago #5219

• jerry
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 31
Well, I guess I'm going to go on a little different route here, simply on the learning side of things. Gregs instructional videos are great along with Mark Wallace.

Favourite Photographer 3 years 4 weeks ago #5222

• Roy van Ommen
Conor Casey wrote:
He designed that coin!? Wow, that's amazing! I'm sure I've held a €2 coin in my hand with that exact design on it. Amazing! :cheer:

Also, I know it was a few months ago, but now that you mention it, congratulations on your new King in the Netherlands, Roy. :)

Hi Conor!

Thank you for the congratulations! :) We are very pleased that we have a new King and we hope that our new King will make the Netherlands better than it was before! Funny though that you know we got a new one :) World news i guess ;)

Well, some other photographers i follow:
- Gregory Cazillo
- Chase Jarvis
- Zack Arias
- RVOFoto.nl.... (** Angelface **)

And yes. I followed Jared Polin in his "good" times...

We have a photo museum in Amsterdam where some great images are exposed, but to be honest. I am intrested in those images, but i have not looked up the photographers... So maybe there are more photographers who inspired me, but i do not know their names ;)

Greetings,
Roy