Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Trying new ideas

Trying new ideas 1 year 8 months ago #6426

• jerry
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 31
Lets remember, I'm not a professional photographer, not even close. My wife sells jewelry and sometimes needs photos taken. I have been seeing some very nice jewelry shots with reflections so I thought I woulds give it a shot as I do like the idea. It was sunny out, so I decided to take the jewelry outside and place them on my iPad screen and hoping to get a some sparkle. This is very cheap jewelry and want to make it look better than that.

I do have a "rednecky" table top studio made out of cardboard with foam board on all sides, which i use for necklaces. But for some reason for rings and bracelets, i like the reflection look.
Attachments:
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Luke

Trying new ideas 1 year 8 months ago #6427

• Luke
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 11
I like the reflection and I think the sparkle on the works really well. The only thing I don't like it the sort of double reflection on top of each other that you are getting with the ring. I played around with something similar a while back where I used a sheet of back acrylic to make the reflection, it was only about seven quid for an A3 sheet at the local art store. I keep meaning to go back and try it with different colours but I never seem to get around to it.

The biggest problem I had was keeping the dust off the acrylic, the thing is like a giant dust magnet.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: jerry
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

Trying new ideas 1 year 8 months ago #6428

• jerry
  • Gold Boarder
Ya, i don't understand why I'm getting that "double" reflection, can anyone explain that?

Trying new ideas 1 year 8 months ago #6429

• Jim St Croix
  • Expert Boarder
The ipad screen isn't a single layer. It has glass on top of the black screen .The glass is clear but you can get reflections from the top and bottom layer.You normally don't see it ,but if you shoot from an angle you can.
You could see the same thing happening in any glass.

glass.gif

www.hoyafilter.com/hoya/technology/
Last Edit: 1 year 8 months ago by Jim St Croix.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jerry, Brent Ross

Trying new ideas 1 year 8 months ago #6430

• Roy van Ommen
  • Creative minds for all!
  • Thank you received: 86
Hi :)

I like the shots. The double reflection would be a thing for me to look at it professionally. For a normal shot it looks totally fine and good sellable.

The iPad has multiple layers on the screen what Jim showed with the image.

For the next time, you could try to take a little lower position with the camera so its less taken from above.. maybe that will make the image stronger...

Greetings,
Roy
The following user(s) said Thank You: jerry

Trying new ideas 1 year 8 months ago #6431

• jerry
  • Gold Boarder
I did try different angles, but got the same results. My wife thinks it looks great and her clients probably don't care, but as "photographers" well, me just a hobbiest, know that if you want to sell, its gotta look its best.

I do like doing these shots outside in the sun for those reflections, or should I say trying to get the jewelry to sparkle. Im gonna work on other ideas.

Trying new ideas 1 year 8 months ago #6435

• jerry
  • Gold Boarder
Heres one more, most of you would probably pass on this for a product shot to be used. I my table top studio is just a cardboard box, with white foam board. Lighting comes from overhead lights and bouncing flash of the ceiling. Of course I would like a real studio, but i'm not in business. I just need to find a way to make the corners/seams more seamless. but its an improvement over what I had.
Attachments:

Trying new ideas 1 year 7 months ago #6436

• jerry
  • Gold Boarder
A new idea, took some metal film from work, it is used to produce coffee bags that you see in stores, its more of a muted metal, not as reflective. Thought I would try it and see how it works. I'm up in the air about it.
Attachments:

Trying new ideas 1 year 7 months ago #6437

• Luke
  • Senior Boarder
Honestly I think when it comes to things that have finer details in them like the jewellery I think the fuzzy reflection detracts from the jewellery rather than add to it.

Trying new ideas 1 year 7 months ago #6438

• jerry
  • Gold Boarder
I agree, i just went to hobby lobby and they have stained glass, i just found a black piece, i mite get the dark red as well. but this is more like what I see on the internet. Just 6 bucks for the 10x10ish sheet of glass.
Attachments:

Trying new ideas 1 year 7 months ago #6439

• Luke
  • Senior Boarder
Ya the cleaner reflection looks much nicer with the jewellery

Trying new ideas 1 year 7 months ago #6441

• jerry
  • Gold Boarder
I decided to go back and get the blue glass, figuring it would work nicely with silver jewelry, heres a shot that I did quickly.
Attachments: