Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: 3.0 ND Filters

3.0 ND Filters 1 year 2 months ago #6475

• jerry
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 31
hey there, I am thinking about getting a stiffen 3.0ND filter, suppose to be 10 stops. I want to get a filter for those slow daylight shutter speeds mainly to show cloud movement. Will this do the job effectively? I figure at f22, iso 100 i should be able to get about a 1 minute 30 second exposure and that might be pushing it.

Anybody have any examples of daylight moving cloud shots taken with this particular filter?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

3.0 ND Filters 1 year 2 months ago #6477

• Brent Ross
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 33
because you are shooting at such a small aperture you dont have to worry about textured bokeh some ND filters create.

here are artifacts you can expect

post the photo, id like to see the result
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

3.0 ND Filters 1 year 2 months ago #6478

• jerry
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 31
Well, I purchased the Tiffen filter. And finally got to do some testing. The first one is a 40 second unedited shot. Remember these are test shots, I wasn't worried bout anything except shutter speeds. Didn't care about composition or anything. the 2nd shot is a 22 seconded edited.
took these at F22, ISO 100
Attachments:

3.0 ND Filters 1 year 2 months ago #6479

Blurred clouds never looked good to me, obviously water is a different story. I seem to vaguely remember long grasses as a good example too. NDs are great for use with flash to keep your shutter speed down and still be able to shoot at f4 or 2.8.