Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Actuations

Actuations 4 years 10 months ago #857

• Christian Udarbe
  • Gold Boarder
  • Just go out and shoot
  • Thank you received: 12
It has been a slow and quiet couple of days in the forums... :S

So, I'll just throw this up; Do you guys keep count of your total shutter actuations?

When I first started out, I didn't really know about the shutter lifespan, in my case for the Nikon D5000, it's around 100,000, so I just shot here and there.

Granted, even when I first started out, I have never sprayed and prayed, but now that I have the actuations in the back of my head, all the more I find or wait patiently for the best moments to take the shot of.

15 months into owning my D5000, I only garnered 9,213 shots (used Opanda to check my shutter actuations), so I still have a long ways to go before it supposedly dies (though there are reports of going over the life expectancy).

Sure one can't help but do trial and error every now and then when trying new things, but once again, with the actuations in the back of my head, I try and quickly learn those new techniques without wasting too much of my actuations. That to me, is another good thing about keeping the actuations in check in addition to the perfect moment shots.

But all these are just me and my opinion, so I'm curious what others think (plus it has been very quiet in the forums lately).

Let me know your thoughts on actuations :)

Peace fellow Cazillions! :cheer:

PS

Greg, if ever this post is in the wrong category, please move it to the right category :)

A medical student;
A musician;
A photographer;
ITS ALL AN ART

Blogger
Facebook
Flickr
Twitter: @ChanUdarbe

Add me up!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Actuations 4 years 10 months ago #858

• Olaf Kleemeyer
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
I wouldn´t give a thought to shutter actuations. Just shoot the pictures you want to shoot. Before it comes to the 100.000 shutter, you will have purchased a new camera. I´m sure about that :-)
Nikon D700, Nikkor 24mm 1.4, 50mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

Re: Actuations 4 years 10 months ago #859

• Andrew Olson
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
My D5000 has around 16,500 (roughly). When talking about shutter life, some can fail early and some can go well over the specified life that the manufacturer has given out, so it really depends on how you use it. However you should be fine for a long time to come with only nine thousand on it.

Based on my math it would take you another 12.64 years to reach 100,000 shutter actuations.

9,000/15 = 600 average per month.

91,000/600 = 151.6 months.

151.6/12 = 12.64 years.

Andy
Last Edit: 4 years 10 months ago by Andrew Olson.

Re: Actuations 4 years 10 months ago #867

• Serdar Dikdik
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
I also dont want my shutter to reach 100000 one day but also when I buy a camera brand new I cant help myself thats a must for me.
I just take it to continuous shoot and hit the shutter to hear that click sound for a minute

I Have to hear that sound. I cant help myself. Do anyone have any illness like mine:)
Bigger is Better

Re: Actuations 4 years 10 months ago #953

• Mistery
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 16
Serdar Dikdik wrote:
I Have to hear that sound. I cant help myself. Do anyone have any illness like mine:)

I do that, especially when I'm in my photo group and people want to hear it. I just bought my D700 in September and already have over 9000 on it.
D800 w/grip, D700 w/grip,V1,14-24mm F/2.8, 24-70mm F/2.8, 70-200mm F/2.8, 200-400mm F/4, 105mm,F/2.8,35mm F/1.4,35mm F/1.8, 85mm F/1.4,1.7x Tele
The following user(s) said Thank You: Serdar Dikdik