Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Watermarking and how/when you use it

Watermarking and how/when you use it 3 years 10 months ago #3211

I was wondering if you could go into detail your stance on Watermarking and how/when you use it. Especially when it comes to printing portraits or wedding shots.
Account used exclusively for moving questions from Photography Answers section on Cazillo.com.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Watermarking and how/when you use it 3 years 10 months ago #3226

• Roy van Ommen
  • Creative minds for all!
  • Thank you received: 86
Photo Answers Archive wrote:
I was wondering if you could go into detail your stance on Watermarking and how/when you use it. Especially when it comes to printing portraits or wedding shots.

Hi there,

Well... i was shocked by reading this question. And let me tell you why.

Lets assume that you are a photographer. You are not giving away free work or so, so you are doing payed gigs. If you are shooting a wedding the following will happen:

- Client will call/mail you.
- Make a appointment with client with portfolio
- Set up a contract with the client where you are setting the prices and so on.
- Client signes the contract

- Wedding will happen and you take the shots

- You make a selection of the images

The next step you can decide if you want to. I work in a way i decide what is nice and what will be in the wedding album (The Book). You can also make an selection of images, export them in low ress quality with a big watermark (transparant of 20 %) and publish them on a secure website. Let the client login and decide what images he would like to have in the book.

You do not want to put your watermark on the images in the book. Thats an absolute No Go (for me!!). I put my business card in front of the book. And in the back of the book a letter with contact information and about reprints and so on with my logo.

The images in the book belong to the married couple. Keep them as clean as possible.

Shooting fashion, sports or what ever is different. Real prints on magazines are also not watermarked.

Watermarks are good for images on your website/flickr/Twitter/Facebook/Instagram to put out your name.

Greetings,
Roy
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jose Cruz
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

Watermarking and how/when you use it 3 years 10 months ago #3240

Great question! I'll work on a video for you and post it!
Account used exclusively for moving questions from Photography Answers section on Cazillo.com.