Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Concert Photography & Band Portraits

Concert Photography & Band Portraits 4 years 10 months ago #531

• Drew Scott
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Currently I'm really wanting to get into concert photography but think I'm limited as I have a D90 with a 35mm 1.8 fixed lense as well as the stock 18-105mm 3.5. Is it possible to shoot concerts from the pit with the 35mm only and have some great results? In the future I would love to buy the 14-24, 24-70 and 70-200 but money is an issue as I was just married and now have a family to support. Please let me know what you think, thanks. :]

---
I am here: maps.google.com/maps?ll=30.059273,-95.238061
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Concert Photography & Band Portraits 4 years 10 months ago #548

• Josh Salley
  • Fresh Boarder
I don't see why not. I would just experiment some. Shoot with the 35 for a couple of songs and then throw on the 18-105. Yeah it's a slower lens, but crank up the iso to as high as you can go and just look for opportunities. Don't just waste shots that you know are going to be to dark or to blurry bc you had to drop your shutter speed, keep it above 1/125th and wait for the lights to give you a decent exposure.

Just make sure like Greg says that you know your camera and settings 110% bc there will be moments when you have to adjust fast and be ready to capture the moment. If your fooling with your settings and chimping then you will miss it.

As soon as you can afford it, get that 70-200 and you will fall in love.

Good luck.
Capturing a moment and freezing it in time.
Last Edit: 4 years 10 months ago by Josh Salley.
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

Re: Concert Photography & Band Portraits 4 years 10 months ago #549

• Brian
  • Fresh Boarder
The 35 is very limiting because its a fixed focal length lens. I would look into cheaper alternatives that are made for enthusiast. the 50 1.8 would be nice, same with the 17-50 f2.8 tamron non-vc. Sure its not as good as the 24-70, but its about 1300 dollars cheaper.

Re: Concert Photography & Band Portraits 4 years 10 months ago #554

• Serdar Dikdik
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Give it a try to 35mm my friend, but keep the other one with you also.

And share the art with us
Bigger is Better

Concert Photography & Band Portraits 4 years 10 months ago #565

• Drew Scott
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks for the advice y'all. :] I'm just pumped because this is what I want to do! I will post these "masterpieces" once I get out there and DO IT, lol.

---
I am here: maps.google.com/maps?ll=30.059424,-95.238227

Re: Concert Photography & Band Portraits 4 years 10 months ago #568

• Olaf Kleemeyer
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
What about an 85mm 1.8 (or even 1.4)? Although it´s a prime lens, it brings you closer to the artists and gives you the chance for some awesome headshots - for a fourth of the price you had to spend for one of the "holy trinity"-lenses. I know some people, who use this lense, especially for club-concerts.
Nikon D700, Nikkor 24mm 1.4, 50mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8
Last Edit: 4 years 10 months ago by Olaf Kleemeyer.

Re: Concert Photography & Band Portraits 4 years 10 months ago #576

• Christian Udarbe
  • Gold Boarder
  • Just go out and shoot
  • Thank you received: 12
I always wanted to take band/concert photography; Ironic that I haven't considering that I play in a band :lol:

But yeah, give it a go. I think the 35mm, being a fast lens, it will work fine under those low light situations. Since you're using a crop sensor, its as good as a nifty fifty. So, you'd still get great results when you're close to them.

Like what Josh mentioned, try some shots with your 18-105 and bump up the ISO to compensate for the low light.

Its always great to practice a genre, and when you get well adept to it, and once you have enough cash to get a 70-200 f/2.8, you'll be even waaay better. After all, it's not only the glass that will give you great images, it is your experience in the field as well.

Best of Luck!

Happy Shooting, my friend! ;)

A medical student;
A musician;
A photographer;
ITS ALL AN ART

Blogger
Facebook
Flickr
Twitter: @ChanUdarbe

Add me up!

Re: Concert Photography & Band Portraits 4 years 10 months ago #621

Probably depends on the venue and size & location of the pit. You could be 15 feet from the band or 40 feet. A longer fast lens will help keep shutter speeds up there to freeze the action. You don't need to think big to get your first shots in the bag. Use FB or Band Camp to find local bands, talk to them and see if you can visit their studio and or be on stage during sound check prior to the show when house lights are on.

Re: Concert Photography & Band Portraits 4 years 10 months ago #640

• Serdar Dikdik
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
good idea puget.

I agree totaly.
concert photography is really hard with those stage lights and opposite dark areas.
I think a fast lens with f2.8 or better and a high iso range camera will help alot.
Bigger is Better