Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the #Cazillions forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Bad camera settings?

Bad camera settings? 3 years 10 months ago #2789

• Matthew
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
I'm new to the forums and I'm here to impress everyone with my extreme ammeter knowledge of photography. Here's my first clueless dilemma, please help :blush:

I took a few shots the other day and was surprised how "washed out" the photos looked. I took my cheap-o UV filters off (per Greg's recommendation) and was using partial metering and auto focal points.

I took similar photos a couple weeks ago and they turned out great. The only difference was that I manually selected my autofocus point to the shooter's body and had a cheap UV filter on my lens.

ORIGINAL:

IMG_3276 by mrneimeyer, on Flickr

"CORRECTED"

IMG_3276 by mrneimeyer, on Flickr
Last Edit: 3 years 10 months ago by Matthew.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Bad camera settings? 3 years 10 months ago #2793

• Bill
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 25
Where was your point of focus at? My guess is that it was a darker part of the image. When you manually select a focus point the camera metered that point as well. With the partial metering it's only selecting a small porting of the frame to meter from and therefor overexposed the image. What did the histogram look like?
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

Bad camera settings? 3 years 10 months ago #2795

• Roy van Ommen
  • Creative minds for all!
  • Thank you received: 86
Well, to be honest Matthew, Both images are not so really good.

The original image and the edit. The edit looks like, well, editing a "not so good" image.

I think you have to use another metering mode. On my canon its spot metering instead of other modes. The spot metering will meter the spot on which you are focussing on. You will get a reading for that.

You can even see this is not working by reviewing it in the camera and make adjustmenst. Its bright sunlight which is harsh so its not bad to review it and retake it.

Also mind your focus which is a bit off i guess..

Greetings,
Roy
Last Edit: 3 years 10 months ago by Roy van Ommen.

Bad camera settings? 3 years 10 months ago #2796

• Matthew
  • Junior Boarder
ya, I was taken by surprise on how poor these came out honestly. I reviewed the photos in the screen from time to time, but the seemed okay there. Actually, hold on a sec. I was wearing those yellow tinted protective glasses when I reviewed the photos in camera, maybe that would have something to due with why I didn't notice an issue then.

My initial thought is that the glare from the car windows may have thrown the metering off. I set the autofocus point to auto because I knew a couple people where gonna take a few pics as well, but I just need to stick with manually picking the points myself.

Also, this is my first time editing in Lightroom, I think I will stick with editing the curves in Photoshop, I get much better results.

Bad camera settings? 3 years 10 months ago #2805

• Mistery
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 16
I recommend reading the histogram instead of actually trying to look at the pictures, that way you'll be able to see if you clipped or not a lot easier.
D800 w/grip, D700 w/grip,V1,14-24mm F/2.8, 24-70mm F/2.8, 70-200mm F/2.8, 200-400mm F/4, 105mm,F/2.8,35mm F/1.4,35mm F/1.8, 85mm F/1.4,1.7x Tele

Bad camera settings? 3 years 10 months ago #2806

• Matthew
  • Junior Boarder
I think I may have to try that from now on. Live and learn right?

Bad camera settings? 3 years 10 months ago #2807

• Roy van Ommen
Yes Matthew, don't let your feeling about photography down because of what i or others are saying. You did well but you have made some, well how do i call it, errors.

Try to take the tips with you for the next time.. and then you will grown better and better. For sure!

Greetings,
Roy

Bad camera settings? 3 years 10 months ago #2808

• Matthew
  • Junior Boarder
I like brutal honesty because now I know when you guys say I do something good, it's not just fluff.

If I wanted everyone to tell me I'm awesome I'd just post on Facebook, lol.

P.S. to Roy:

Just so you know I'm not completely inept, I have a photo posted in the Foreground, Middleground, Background thread (page 6). That one came out pretty good imo. :lol:

Bad camera settings? 3 years 10 months ago #2811

• Roy van Ommen
That one is really awsome!!! Like it.

Greetings,
Roy

Bad camera settings? 3 years 10 months ago #2824

• Erik Ballew
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 30
I know I'm a bit late to this party, but I noticed the shot was at 1/80 f8. Now this is a ton of light in the mid day sun. Back before digital when we couldn't look at the back of the Camera, there was an old guideline of "Sunny f16" Basically you need to stop down the background to pull it in line with your subject, yes the subject will get a little darker in this case, but he is a little blown out as well, plus I see some motion blur on his arm.

Probably has been said, but try shooting around F16 with faster shutter speeds in the mid day sun and try it out.

Bad camera settings? 3 years 10 months ago #2825

• Roy van Ommen
Erik Ballew wrote:
I know I'm a bit late to this party, but I noticed the shot was at 1/80 f8. Now this is a ton of light in the mid day sun. Back before digital when we couldn't look at the back of the Camera, there was an old guideline of "Sunny f16" Basically you need to stop down the background to pull it in line with your subject, yes the subject will get a little darker in this case, but he is a little blown out as well, plus I see some motion blur on his arm.

Probably has been said, but try shooting around F16 with faster shutter speeds in the mid day sun and try it out.

Sorry, i do not agree on that. I tried that last time, and at F16 you will get "diffraction". With this i refer to my post about my Canon 60D which i had that problem with.

The image should be taken with a lot more shutter speed and the focus is just off. Thats why the image is off.

Greetings,
Roy

Bad camera settings? 3 years 10 months ago #2827

• Erik Ballew
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 30
Roy van Ommen wrote:
Erik Ballew wrote:

Sorry, i do not agree on that. I tried that last time, and at F16 you will get "diffraction". With this i refer to my post about my Canon 60D which i had that problem with.

The image should be taken with a lot more shutter speed and the focus is just off. Thats why the image is off.

Greetings,
Roy

There would be next to no lenses that would have a "diffraction" problem at around f16... Shooting between f11 and f16 are perfectly acceptable in mid day light. If it was Bokeh the OP was looking for, he'd have been better off at f4 1/2000 of a second or around there. But "diffraction" would not be the case either way.
  • Page: