Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the #Cazillions forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.

TOPIC: sports lens

sports lens 3 years 10 months ago #2862

What is the best lens to use for shooting sports? I've been told that the Tamron 70-200mm, f/2.8 is a good portrait lens but not for sports...any suggestions? I'm looking for this type lens for a Sony A55 camera...Thanks!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

sports lens 3 years 10 months ago #2864

• Jon Lloyd
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
'A' 70-200mm lens is a good portrait lens but that isn't its limitation. 70-200mm lenses are excellent Sports/Action lenses especially a fast f2.8 like that.

It will also depend on what you want to shoot and how close you can get to the action. 200mm is a good zoom but for sideline stuff a 300 to 400mm zoom would be even better or alternatively a multiplier but you would need to consider a couple of stops of light loss. Something that can easily be compensated for.

Image Stabilization is also a factor but your budget may well also be! So although 70-200mm lenses are indeed excellent portrait lenses they have a far wider application. I know of photographers who use them for landscape panoramas!

I'm pretty sure dpreview.com did a comparison test on the Canon/Nikon/Sigma 70-200.
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

sports lens 3 years 10 months ago #2867

• Roy van Ommen
  • Creative minds for all!
  • Thank you received: 86
rstarliper wrote:
What is the best lens to use for shooting sports? I've been told that the Tamron 70-200mm, f/2.8 is a good portrait lens but not for sports...any suggestions? I'm looking for this type lens for a Sony A55 camera...Thanks!

Hi there,

The Tamron 70-200 F/2.8 is a nice portrait lens. But indeed. Its not a sports lens because the auto focus is way to slow. You really need auto focus because most sports are movings so fast, that manual focus is not always the option.

If you want to do sports, you really need a quality lens. A fast one, and because you need fast shutterspeeds, you alsno need a low aperture number like the 2.8.

So... maybe the new Sigma 70-200. Does Sony makes a 70-200?

Greetings,
Roy
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gregory Cazillo

sports lens 3 years 10 months ago #2868

• Jon Lloyd
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
That's a good point Roy which I didn't really suggest in my post re; the speed of the auto-focus I'm a bit spoilt with my Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 IS II and the auto-focus in the 5D inherited from the 1DX... That all sounds great... I just need to practice using it!

sports lens 3 years 10 months ago #2871

• Erik Ballew
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 30
The old Tamron was really slow at focus, but the newest that JUST came out is great, better than the sigma, and about $500 cheaper than the Sony version

www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/892852-RE...0mm_F_2_8_Di_VC.html
Last Edit: 3 years 10 months ago by Erik Ballew.

sports lens 3 years 10 months ago #2876

You should try out BOTH lenses before you purchase one...maybe rent them to find the right one for you? I have a feeling the Sony version is going to be much better than the Tamron.

sports lens 3 years 10 months ago #2878

• Roy van Ommen
Gregory Cazillo wrote:
You should try out BOTH lenses before you purchase one...maybe rent them to find the right one for you? I have a feeling the Sony version is going to be much better than the Tamron.

Same thing here..

I also think, that its more important to have in sports a better quality lens than in portraiture. Because in sports its all about speed... You have got more time when shooting a portrait... :)

Canon and Nikon and even Sony is making more quality glass compared to Tamron. i have nothing against it, but its just the truth. It will never be a pro lens. And a pro lens is what you need by shooting fast sports.

greetings,
Roy

sports lens 3 years 10 months ago #2959

• Greg S
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Pro-thusiast photographer in SW Connecticut specializing in youth sports, landscapes, portraiture and pet photography. Principal photographer for Trinity College Bantams Football, Masuk High Shool Cheer.
I shot for 2 years on the Tamron 70-200 2.8, my profile pic was shot with that lens... if I ONLY show still/slow/medium subjects then I would own no other, it's great.

BUT in Sports my loss-ratio due to soft pics was ~30% now using "name brand glass" I am down below 10%.

The Big Cazillion speaks the truth though, only a side-by-side of your 2 choices will let you know whats best for you.

-- this is STRICTLY my opinion (and Damian Strohmeyers too :whistle: ) but IS isn't a major requirement for sports since your shutter speeds should stay above 1/640 anyway.

if you can get IS/OS great, but if you can get great glass without it for a good price, i say make the move rather than suffer with bad glass with IS.
When I'm shooting football or baseball IS doesn't come into play (pun intended).

my $0.02...

Greg
We are Sandy Hook and We CHOOSE Love..

sports lens 3 years 10 months ago #2975

• Roy van Ommen
Okay.. how about this..

A friend of mine, is shooting a Canon EOS 1000D (the very first entry level camera). Has got a Sigma 18-200 non OS on it. 3.5 to 6.5 or so.

He is truly taking the BEST images in town of running. He takes shots which comes in the local news paper, and which will be shown at local television.. So you can always take great images with what ever kind of gear.

BUT!

Good gear, quality glass will always make it easier to do. Really, it is a sort of guarantee of good shots. Save up money, try to get the quality brand glass. Its just better glass. Even if its second hand (good second hand from a store or so)

Sorry if i offend people with this, but thats just my 2 cents...

Greetings,
Roy

sports lens 3 years 10 months ago #2994

• Conor Casey
  • Thank you received: 55
^Agree with Roy^ Equipment helps make our lives easier but don't obsess over it.

My advise, don't get the Tamron. I have never used it, but I've read a dozen reviews of it and the one thing they all said about it was that the focus is SLOW; not for sports.

Never read anything of the Sony but I would put it over the Tamron as Sony glass is usually pretty good, although this is just an assumption. The Nikon 70-200mm is the ultimate, but expensive choice. If you can pick up a version I second hand for a good price, take a look at that option. If you are buying new, the Sigma 70-200mm OS is mean't to be very good, almost as good as the Nikon but quite a bit less expensive. Hope this added something to this topic. :)
Conor Casey
Flickr