Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the #Cazillions forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.

TOPIC: 50mm is not a portrait lens (on Full Frame)

50mm is not a portrait lens (on Full Frame) 3 years 10 months ago #3060

• justin
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi Greg, I watched and enjoyed your video titled "a 50mm lens is not a portrait lens". Does this only apply to Full Frame (FF) or also crop sensor cameras? Given that 85mm lens is considered a great portrait lens on a FF camera, does this imply that a 50mm (which would become say 80mm) on a crop sensor camera is therefore a great lens for a crop sensor camera?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

50mm is not a portrait lens (on Full Frame) 3 years 10 months ago #3076

Hi Justin,

No, it doesn't. See this video which explains what happens when you put a lens on a crop sensor body. 50mm lenses are still 50mm, and when shooting headshots you get too much distortion which produces unflattering images.

The following user(s) said Thank You: justin
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

50mm is not a portrait lens (on Full Frame) 3 years 10 months ago #3088

• Erik Ballew
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 30

Your sensor may frame up like an 80mm lens, but it is NOT zooming in, and it is NOT making the image bigger. The center of the frame will be identical. Just because your sensor can't see the entire image circle, does not mean it isn't going through the lens anyway.

Cropping the photo before or after is the same result.

Hope I made sense here, and I hope I didn't sound like an asshole. But some people will fight to the death on this subject.

I also realize that a crop sensor camera will have more pixels in the crop than cropping a full frame, but I still want to say that putting more crap in a box, doesn't make the box any bigger.
Last Edit: 3 years 10 months ago by Erik Ballew.

50mm is not a portrait lens (on Full Frame) 3 years 10 months ago #3094

Love that, more crap in a box!

50mm is not a portrait lens (on Full Frame) 3 years 10 months ago #3108

• justin
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks a lot Erik. Very helpful.