Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the #Cazillions forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.

TOPIC: Sigma 120-300 2.8, or Nikkor 70-200 2.8 vr?

Sigma 120-300 2.8, or Nikkor 70-200 2.8 vr? 3 years 7 months ago #3463

This has been eating at me for a few weeks now. I have purchased the d7000 and love it. I have along with it a Nikkor 18-200mm 3.5-5.6 vrii, a Nikkor 50mm 1.8, and a Tokina 11-16mm 2.8. I am currently looking to step up my glass game with a lens that will really help me with my sport photography (most of which would be under lots of light [ie. auto racing and motocross but I would also like to shoot some sports that do not utilize as much light [ie. highschool ice hockey or football.]) I have heard people say both the focusing ability at low light comes down to the lens and others who say it comes down to the body, but who is right ultimately? A photo friend of mine shoots a D2H along with a sigma 70-200 2.8 and a sigma 300mm 2.8 with no problems (he attributes this to the body being able to focus so well) I obviously know that there are minor qualities of Nikkor glass that will always outshine the third party lenses but my question is this. Is it really justifiable for a 21 year old student who is trying to get his foot in the door professionally to splurge for the nicer glass or do you think the Sigma glass would be money well spent or instant buyer regret? SO CONFUSED! Thank you for any and all input!
The administrator has disabled public write access.