Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the #Cazillions forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.

TOPIC: Hello from California!

Hello from California! 3 years 7 months ago #3818

• Tim Shrimpton
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Hi everyone!

New member here. Just wanted to post and say hi.

I've recently decided to take my photography up as a serious hobby. I've dabbled here and there before. My wife and I bought a Nikon D3100 two years ago to get better images than our P&S camera was taking, and what an upgrade! That also opened up the potenital of learning more about photography and in fits and starts we've both been doing that.

I recently purchased a D7100 after being frustrated with the D3100's lack of external controls (although, I have to say, the image quality, even with kit lenses, on the D3100 were exceptional for our purposes; the D7100 even more so).

My interests are primarily just being able to take good pictures of our family, in usually candid settings of the kids playing, etc. For nice prints for family and ourselves, etc. Secondly, I love digging into the macro realm and getting amazing detail there. Lastly, I'd like to become competent at taking other photographs at other times (landscapes, etc.). At most I'll be printing out some nicer pictures to hang on the walls. I have zero intention of doing this professionally. I don't think I'll ever get to the point of being good enough to trust myself to do something like that.

I've recently started uploading some of my shots to Flickr if you want to take a look around: www.flickr.com/photos/54250430@N05/

As for gear, we've got:

Nikon D3100 with the 18-55 and 55-200 kit lenses.
Nikon D7100 with the older 18-70 kit lens (love that construction), the 70-300 VR (or will, once it's replaced. 5 days old and the AF motor died on it), the 85mm f/3.5 Macro, and the 35mm f/1.8 (love this lens with the kids).

Clearly, not a professional setup, but it's versatile and meets our needs for now.

Love all of Greg's work and looking forward to learning here in the community as well!

As a thanks for getting this far, here's one of my favorite pictures I recently took:

Columbine after "rain" by daroga28, on Flickr
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gregory Cazillo

Hello from California! 3 years 7 months ago #3819

• Tom
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Hello Tim

Welcome to the forum.

I'm sure you'll enjoy sharing all thoughts about photography here! If you have any questions feel free to ask. One more thing: great photo!

Best Regards
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

Hello from California! 3 years 7 months ago #3827

• Conor Casey
  • Thank you received: 55
Warm welcome to the forums Tim! Any questions, feel free to ask.

Also, nice macro. :side:
Conor Casey
Flickr

Hello from California! 3 years 7 months ago #3831

• Bill
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 25
welcome! WOW is that colt yours?? amazing and jealous :D

Hello from California! 3 years 7 months ago #3838

• Tim Shrimpton
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Yes, it was. Far more precious to others than it was to us so it was auctioned off awhile ago. Forgot those pictures were still up there!