Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Keep Shooting! Photography Assignments (04 Feb 2013)

Be sure to check out the new Keep Shooting! Photography Assignments, every two weeks there is a new one!

cazillo.com/c/forum/keep-shooting-photography-assignments.html

× Welcome to the #Cazillions forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.

Natural Backlight

More
4 years 6 months ago - 4 years 6 months ago #3936 by Julie Anne Moore
First try of going out with the goal to shoot backlit photos of my dog Casper. Any suggestions on how I could have done it better?

Casper Spring 2013 by Julie Anne Moore's Photography , on Flickr

Last Edit: 4 years 6 months ago by Julie Anne Moore.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 6 months ago #3976 by jerry
I think the 2nd one is the best, the top one I think if you had a bit of a faster shutter speed to kill the ambient light some, but if you were to far away, it may not have worked, it would be a very nice shot. To me they are all keepers. the sun is a little to low in the last shot you posted

Pickup your Photography Tshirt today
More
4 years 6 months ago #3978 by finntroll
I have to say your photography is excellent. Nice composition and nice dog btw. (love dogs). Have you tried using off camera flash ? Could work if the dog is not movi ng, then you can expose properly for the background, instead of having to bring it back in post.
I also like playing with selective whitebalance in lightroom for skies/background...

More
4 years 6 months ago #3988 by Conor Casey
Nice shots Julie. :)

Number two and three are my favourites. I love the composition of two and how you cropped in tight. I like the simpler background too as it is the least distracting of the set. I love the rim of backlight behind the dog also. Number three is great too. Again, I love the composition; very strong image.

I am not so keen on the first one. I don't like the way the camera has been tilted for the composition and I find the big blown out blob of sun behind the dog distracting. Casper's expression is nice though.

Similarly, with number four, I like the composition and the fact Casper is running this time. Again though, I find the sun distracting and I am not so keen on the tree in the background either. Nice backlight though.

These may simply be personal gripes with the photos as opposed to major flaws. I find that when the sun is actually in the image as opposed to simply the light behind Casper, the image doesn't work as well. I would like to see some more shots like the second one where you went in tight with the composition. For a wider view, I would personally prefer something where there is no blob of blown-out sun in the background. If you have access to a flash and some gels, you could get creative with that too, so long as Casper doesn't mind the flash too much.

Good job again Julie; I look forward to seeing some more of your work. :side:

Also, beautiful dog and great name too! :P

Conor Casey
Flickr