Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the #Cazillions forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.

TOPIC: Online Storage

Online Storage 3 years 1 month ago #5051

Hi Greg and others,

I hope my first post here is relevant to this forum.

As an enthusiast, I may have overdone my online storage options:
500px - Nice and public, I have a paid account
Flikr - Nice and public, I have the free option
Google+ Nice and public?
My own website - No vistors, who wants to go there?

My photography may or may not become commercial, and is not currently my source of income.

I don't see the point of some pics at one site and some at another, etc. In the end I won't know my "beep" from my elbow! I know my own hosted website would be more secure, but given my options above, which site would be best?

Cheers,
Darryl
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Online Storage 3 years 1 month ago #5054

I'm gonna talk about this on next week's show, stay tuned. Great subject!
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

Online Storage 3 years 1 month ago #5056

Hi Greg,

Will do.

Since discovering you YouTube channel and signing up for your newsletter, I have been tuning into your Monday shows.

I've learnt so much from your videos as well, even if I'm a Canon user :evil:

And thanks to one of your shows, I squeezed Adobe for a refund on Lightroom 5

Cheers,
Darryl

Online Storage 3 years 1 month ago #5057

• jerry
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 31
For me, I never understand online storage. I just simply use external drives for storage. It just seems simpler and well secure. I have 2 externals drives on my desktop and 1 in a fireproof safe.

Online Storage 3 years 1 month ago #5078

Hi Greg,

Just watched your Monday show off-line - thanks for answering my question!

I never gave CDN (content delivered network) a thought.
Keeps our website space usage and bandwidth down, meaning a smaller package with my hosting company. And I always have my originals triple backed up on my side.

Interesting split you have with 500px and Flickr. I've yet to upload anything to them or your site as I'm such a beginner. Really embarrassed by my shots at the moment. Practice makes for improvement, so I'm busy having fun doing that :-)
I said this before, but it bears repetition: I have learnt so much from watching your videos and from other pages on your site. Thanks!!

Cheers,
Darryl aka Jeff

Online Storage 3 years 1 month ago #5079

• Roy van Ommen
  • Creative minds for all!
  • Thank you received: 86
Hi,

Its a really nice question and if i am allowed i would like to answer this from my own perspective.

If i take a look at my studio work. I have a big server. Onto that there is a NAS station.

On my Imac @ work i use local storage which backups to the server. That replicates live to the NAS which has a RAID R Tool on it. That replicates with a NAS at my home and at a secret location.

I see the social media as 500px, Flickr, Facebook etc more as a promotional output. Yes, you can store your images there. But where do you want to leave your rawfiles.

You have to show your most importartant and best looking images as a story on your website. Maybe you can create a portion on your website where you can place all of your images which you want to share. After that you can use Flickr or 500px or even Twitter/Facebook to direct people to your site. Make them intrested in your images and make sure you have added value on your site. So they have a destination to go to your site :)

I use a Cloud service to store my very very very important files. Thats called Dropbox which i had a free 25 gb account from my HTC One X.

So yeah... :)

Greetings,
Roy