Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the #Cazillions forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.

TOPIC: Between the D610 and the D700.

Between the D610 and the D700. 2 years 5 months ago #6079

I’m one of your many viewers, and kindly ask for some help about to make a choice in photo gear.

I’m a current owner of a two D90s and I think is the moment to move on to full-frame. I’m making a final choice between the old and discontinued D700 and the new D610. I have more FX lenses than DX lenses. I shoot pretty much a very wide field, but mainly studio shots of products and people, street photography and I do landscape as well, all these would be my main thing.

My points towards the D610?: Is newer, more MP…but I’ve read is a bit like a “toy-feeling” camera…and focusing system is not that clever.

My points towards the D700?: Much better built quality, better piece of mechanical instrument, better focusing system…

Image quality, I've read is very similar, even the D700 better...I'm not sure if I'm wrong.

Even when I can buy the D700 second hand (8+), around $1,600.-, I’m not sure if I should spend extra $400 and get the D610 with all the new technology or stay with a classic tank camera like the D700 , which will last longer.

If this could help, according to the many reviews I've read, I would say the D700 it would be like a discontinued Mercedes and the D610 it would be a new Toyota.

I thank you in advance and I hope I will make my choice really soon,

Best Regards,

Francisco.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Between the D610 and the D700. 2 years 5 months ago #6080

• Brent Ross
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 33
Here is a good video that compares the D600 D800E D700 and D4 with respect to dynamic range and noise
He even uses mathlab to determine signal to noise ratios
The dude may not be the best speaker, but the info is pretty well presented

Last Edit: 2 years 5 months ago by Brent Ross.
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

Between the D610 and the D700. 2 years 5 months ago #6081

Thanks so much Brent Ross!, I really thank you for your answer.

Unfortunately, I've already seen this video, but I hope it will be helpful for others, who hasn't yet.

The thing is, understanding the image quality, according with this video, is better in the D610, I'm still concerned about how good it can be the D610 in terms of built quality, as a mechanical piece of equipment.

It seems very much the D610 is like a basic-entry-amateur-level full frame camera, while the D700 it would be a very close-pro level full-frame camera...those are the comments I have so far...

Thanks again!

Between the D610 and the D700. 2 years 5 months ago #6083

• Brent Ross
  • Gold Boarder
haha what a coinkidink you've seen this one too

The 610 is solid as the D7100 it's fine

I'd say if your choice is between the D700 and D610, it comes down to what you will be using it for.

The D700 can hold 33 compressed RAW images in its buffer before it chokes [ www.dpreview.com/forums/post/28929480 ]. The D600 can hold 27 [ photographylife.com/nikon-d7100-vs-d600 ]

Do you really need more megapixels? A 1080P monitor is 2 MP
An 8x11 Print (8*240)(11*240) is about 5 MP
I have 24 MP on my D7100 and I'm like... what evs... Lets me brag to my uncle who has a D7000 and only 18 MP ohhhhhhhh snap

Also consider the focus system. I hate the D600 and its one big focus cluster in the middle. It's almost as annoying as the canon 60D and the 9 points of "feelin lucky?". I have no idea what the focus system on the D700 is like.

Also ... price
Last Edit: 2 years 5 months ago by Brent Ross.

Between the D610 and the D700. 2 years 4 months ago #6091

Thanks again Brent Ross!

Just for let you know, my main issue making a final choice between these two camera bodies is regarding the built quality and if it's worth to buy and old, but "better piece of equipment" than a newer camera body, with newer technology being this last one a "non-pro" body.

The focusing points issue is another important thing to me. I've read the focusing system of the D700 is the same as the D3, which is far superior than the D610's....But again...it's a 5 years old camera...

Other fact I've read and hear about it, is the D610's focus points are all gathered in the middle on the frame.....which to me seems not good at all...

Thanks again!
Last Edit: 2 years 4 months ago by Francisco. Reason: Forgot some detalis.

Between the D610 and the D700. 2 years 4 months ago #6092

• Brent Ross
  • Gold Boarder
The build quality and focus system are carbon copies of the D7100
I have a D7100 and it's tough, I have no problem with it.
As for the AF points on the D600

images.gizmag.com/inline/nikon_d600-25.jpg

Hope you like to focus and recompose. Also rebinding your focus to your AE-L button will help you focus and recompose.
My friend has the d600 and doesn't mind it. I'm just a complainer
Last Edit: 2 years 4 months ago by Brent Ross.

Between the D610 and the D700. 2 years 4 months ago #6095

Francisco wrote:

Other fact I've read and hear about it, is the D610's focus points are all gathered in the middle on the frame.....which to me seems not good at all...

That has been an issue ever since the D3 came out. There must be some technical reason why they don't put them all across the viewfinder otherwise I'm sure they would.

Between the D610 and the D700. 2 years 4 months ago #6097

• Brent Ross
  • Gold Boarder
It's because the D600 and D7000 use almost the same AF system. The D7000 doesnt have the cluster in the middle because it's a crop frame sensor, so the empty space around the points are cropped away

www.rc.au.net/blog/2012/10/31/nikon-d600...tofocus-system-tips/
Last Edit: 2 years 4 months ago by Brent Ross.

Between the D610 and the D700. 2 years 4 months ago #6100

• Erik Ballew
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 30
I'm going to chime in as a D610 owner. I simply LOVE this camera, in the daytime. However, at night... I want to throw it against a wall sometimes. What is the point of good low light performance if the damned thing will NOT focus! And, the little light is useless with a 70-200 on the body, the beam of light doesn't make it past the barrel of the lens.

It's not the end of the world. But, it really is a major flaw, I could work around it, if I get a portable battery pack to carry around monolights, or something with a modeling lamp. Instead of just my speed lights. Example with this photo. I ended up having someone hold a flashlight beam right in front of the model so it reflected into her face, in order to lock focus. This was right after dusk, so I figured there should be plenty ambient light for focus... But nope!

Last Edit: 2 years 4 months ago by Erik Ballew.

Between the D610 and the D700. 2 years 4 months ago #6104

Thanks Brent Ross for your reply, I'm aware about D7100 and D610 sharing the same focus system, and being the D7100 a crop sensor, it's looks like "a better distribution using more area of the frame", but is not. It's just the area is smaller and then logically it seems to be better distribution. Thanks again, but I'm trying to make a final choice between the D700 second hand and a brand new D610. I'm not interested in any detail about the D7100 at the moment, thanks for you answer anyway.

Thanks Gregory Cazillo. I wasn't aware about the focus system issue (all focus points on the center of the frame) being on D3 as well as it's on the D610.

As long as I understand, the D3 and D700 work with the same Multi-CAM 3500FX system, which, if I'm not wrong is not the same as the D610, being the D610 the one who has all the focus points together in the center of the frame (which I don't like) and being the D700 focus system, the Multi-CAM 3500FX not "that" on the center of the frame and being better, more accurate and faster.

Have you worked or had or have a D700 body?, how is/was the focusing performance?, in low light?, it's fast?, accurate? I've heard and read is really good, much better than the D610's.

Thanks so much Erik Ballew, by the way, great image you posted, personally I loved it.

Disregarding your nice experience with the D610 on daytime. What about the feeling of the camera in your hands?, Have you worked before with a "pro" body or even the D700?

I've read the D610 feels like a "toy" camera, almost fragile if you know what I mean...plastic feeling.

My main thing here is try to discover if it's better have an oldy but a really good piece of equipment than a new, but not so well built, plastic new generation camera.

Thanks to all, best regards to everyone.
Last Edit: 2 years 4 months ago by Francisco. Reason: Misplaced a letter

Between the D610 and the D700. 2 years 4 months ago #6113

• Erik Ballew
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 30
Francisco wrote:

Thanks so much Erik Ballew, by the way, great image you posted, personally I loved it.

Disregarding your nice experience with the D610 on daytime. What about the feeling of the camera in your hands?, Have you worked before with a "pro" body or even the D700?

I've read the D610 feels like a "toy" camera, almost fragile if you know what I mean...plastic feeling.

The build quality of the camera I like. It's not a tank, it's not made of full on metal, but it does have it in the most important areas, It's not a Huge camera but it's a good deal bigger than the entry level cameras, and fits in my larger hands well. It's not a tank, but it's light and easy to carry, and it's weather sealed!

At first I was afraid, but I've really come to like the lighter body. I'm seriously advise you to check it out at a camera store.