Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the #Cazillions forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.

TOPIC: umm, false information maybe?

umm, false information maybe? 2 years 1 month ago #6262

• Brent Ross
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 33
Ok so I was watching this video on tony northups youtube

He says the nikon 70-200 vrII has such bad focus breathing that at close range the zoom is actually more like 135mm instead of 200
I own that lens, I can't see any evidence of breathing, it's flawless
I think you need to made a video calling out his bullshit, if it is indeed bullshit.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

umm, false information maybe? 2 years 1 month ago #6263

• Luke
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 11
To be honest when I see these Canon vs Nikon I really consider them click bait designed to get views on a video.

In the first few minutes he compares a Canon 5D m3 to a Nikon D810 and concludes the D810 is better, since the D810 is two years newer than the canon I would certainly hope that its better.
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

umm, false information maybe? 2 years 1 month ago #6264

• Brent Ross
  • Gold Boarder
it definitely is click bait. It just bothers me that he is very very popular and has sort of a responsibility with that power. Not only is he popular, but his personality is very trustworthy. He is making an army of drones that think the nikon variant has crazy ass focus breathing

umm, false information maybe? 2 years 1 month ago #6266

The fact that you can't see anything wrong with it, doesn't mean that it is not there. Read this test from Tom Hogan: www.bythom.com/nikkor-70-200-VR-II-lens.htm

Or go and look around on the internet. I own the VRII as well, and yes, if you use it in close working distance, it is not 200mm. The VRII has focus breathing, and a lot of it in those ranges. IS that a problem? Not for me, optic it's a better lens than the VRI, alround build and performance is better than any alternative from Sigma or Tamron, so who cares. You work with the tools you have, not the tools you thought you had, or wanted to have ;)

So Tony isn't wrong at all, he is spot on as far as the 130 vs 200mm focus breathing is concerned. The fact that you might not be able to see, experience or measure those figures, doesn't mean their not there ;)
Nikon FX body's and some Nikkor FX glass I believe...

Praktica 35mm analogue just for fun

www.remcovandesanden.nl

umm, false information maybe? 2 years 1 month ago #6267

• Brent Ross
  • Gold Boarder
Ive had lenses with focus breathing issues. When focusing from infinity and working to the minimum focus distance there would be an obvious change in zoom slightly.

The 70-200 is rock solid, keeping the exact same framing through the focus range. The one problem it has is minimum focus distance. I just looked up the numbers on the manufacturers websites and the canon lens focusing 20cm closer than the Nikon lens. That's a pretty big difference when it comes to portraits. I feel he is trying to compare the minimum focus distances but calls it breathing. I find Tony's nomenclature absent or wrong at times.

This is breathing
Last Edit: 2 years 1 month ago by Brent Ross.