Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the #Cazillions forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.

TOPIC: Weather proofing limits

Weather proofing limits 1 year 4 months ago #6464

• Brent Ross
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 33
So I wanted to test the waterproofing of the D7100 with the 14 to 24mm lens during heavy down pour.
Set a time lapse and left so I didn't get struck by lightning. I was the tallest thing in the field.
The camera survived with no water penetration and the 14-24 had slight fog behind the front element which dried fast. Didn't surprise me. The same thing happened when I was shooting in the snow with that lens.

BRE_7118 by Charlton Studios, on Flickr
f/11 30" ISO100
Last Edit: 1 year 4 months ago by Brent Ross.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Weather proofing limits 1 year 2 months ago #6476

• Jannatul Ferdous
  • Junior Boarder
  • I am Jannatul from Bangladesh interested in photography.
  • Thank you received: 1
Wow thats pretty good news for all! And need to try someday such water proof camera as well!
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

Weather proofing limits 1 year 2 months ago #6481

Not me! I use protection :)

Weather proofing limits 1 year 2 months ago #6486

• Brent Ross
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 33
Yeah I agree, I don't think I'd chance it with a newer more expensive camera.

But there is one problem with this hydrophobia that is not addressed. When I left my naked camera out in a downpour, the only penetration was moisture through the edge of the front element of the 14-24. This lens has a built-in hood and between the glass and the hood there is a space which allows the lens to move out and in during zooming.

Any star photography is also very risky, because as soon and you aim the camera up, the lens becomes a funnel. Water will penetrate the entire camera in this configuration and the hydrophobia wont stop it.