Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the #Cazillions forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.

TOPIC: Keep my Epson R2000 or upgrade to P400, 600 or 800

Keep my Epson R2000 or upgrade to P400, 600 or 800 4 months 3 weeks ago #6575

Deep discounts are now offered on the Epson P-series printers. My 5 year old R2000 works well and gives me very nice prints. Recently there have been a few clogging issues, cleaning (sometimes multiple) still takes care of it. I would upgrade to one of the P series printers if it would produce visibly better prints. I shoot mostly portraits,sports and industrial landscapes (mostly railroads). Most of my prints are 8.5 x 11 (90%) or smaller with an occasional 11 x 14 or larger. My camera is a Nikon D810 with a good set of lenses. So the question: would a print from one of the new P-series stand out as clearly better than one from the R2000? If so I will gladly spend the money, but I don't want to waste it on less than better results.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Keep my Epson R2000 or upgrade to P400, 600 or 800 4 months 3 weeks ago #6578

You might be able to see a slight quality difference here and there in the final print, but only to the trained eye. If you needed the print size upgrade to the 22" P800 that would be a good reason. What is your paper of choice? Have you tried the new Epson Legacy line? They are really sweet.

As for your clogging issues how long do you go without printing? Do you close up the printer and turn it off when done?
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

Keep my Epson R2000 or upgrade to P400, 600 or 800 4 months 3 weeks ago #6579

Thanks, Greg, for the reply. A slight quality difference probably isn't enough to spend the money and I rarely print 13" let alone 22, so the P800 would be overkill. On the other hand, my car has over 400 hp and who really needs that?

My favorite paper is Epson Ultra Premium Photo Paper Glossy. Its 297 gsm weight is especially nice. I've tried their Signature Series Luster and Exhibition Fiber, but always go back to the glossy. I tried a Moab metallic. too, but not successfully

Regarding clogging, I use the printer almost daily with occasional breaks of a day or two. The clogs always occur well into a printing session. I wouldn't be surprised to start the day with a clog, but after six or seven prints it seems it shouldn't happen. I hate to admit my printer has never been turned off and closed in its five year life. It may be dumb luck that it has done so well for so long. And that raises the question of just how long should a printer last? If it is aging out it might be time for an upgrade anyway.

My previous printer was an Epson R1900. One day it quit and announced it needed maintenance. That involved cleaning the ink pads which absorb overspray and ink lost to head cleaning. The techie told me it would last a while longer, but the next time it would need new pads at considerable expense. I do my own pad cleaning on this machine but wonder if it is headed.toward the same fate.

Again, thanks for the reply. I'm a newbie here as you can see. I discovered you on a Utube video reviewing the Epson printers. It was my good luck to find you and look forward to being here a long time.

Keep my Epson R2000 or upgrade to P400, 600 or 800 4 months 3 weeks ago #6581

When you print a lot the big issue is paper dust getting into the machine. That paper dust could be kicked up into the air by printing...that might be why it happens after a couple of prints.

Leaving it on for 5 years is definitely not advised by Epson either. Dust in the air will also get into the printer as the air in the room settles after you leave. I would take a good look at the inside bottom of the printer where the sheets are loaded see if there is dust lying in the bottom. Also run some Epson cleaning sheets to clean the rollers.

I hope you are using genuine Epson ink! You never want to use 'compatible' inks.