Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the #Cazillions forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.

TOPIC: Tethering choices: iPad or PC?

Tethering choices: iPad or PC? 3 months 3 weeks ago #6582

First, thanks for the guidance on the printer upgrade question. I'll keep the Epson R2000. The clincher was your video advice to wait for another generation. That makes a lot of sense. Thanks.

My question today concerns tethered shooting of portraits. An iPad Pro would be first choice, but it can be pretty pricey, especially when you add an Eye-fi SD card for wireless connection. A wired connection is even harder because an adapter ($) is needed to go from USB to Firewire. A basic 32GB iPad Pro should be sufficient. I don't plan to store images on it but only to view them as they are shot and send them to Lightroom.

The alternative is a Dell 2-in-1 with a 4 GB memory and 500 GB hard drive. Its screen is 13.3" ( about the same as the larger iPad) The Dell can be tethered directly with a cable and it would cost about half as much. But would it do the job? If I download 100 D810 images at about 40 MB each, would that flood the memory, slow it down or worse? Are there better alternatives whose price would not send me back to Apple? (nothing wrong with Apple, just trying to limit the price)

Currently I'm on a Dell PC, Windows 10, PS CC and Lightroom - also Elements 14 which I still like.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Tethering choices: iPad or PC? 3 months 3 weeks ago #6583

If I was to buy a device to use for tethering a lot I'd probably buy a Surface Pro 4. Great computer, great reviews, Windows 10 is awesome, etc etc. I don't know of any direct way to tether without wireless connections. I've tried using wireless tethering before in venues with about 150 people and I ended up canning the idea of tethering, too much interference with all the phones and other devices. If you need a bigger screen you can use an external monitor or TV. You can probably find used SP4s on Craigslist for less than $1k. Plus you have access to the full LRD version which has tethering built in. External storage would be easy with a USB 3.0 drive with a laptop or SP4.

Also AFAIK...
There is no such thing as a USB to FW adapter
I don't know of any way to tether to LR in iOS
SSDs are much faster than HDDs. You 100% want a computer with an SSD.
Used MacBooks can be had less than a $1k also if you want an Apple product.
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

Tethering choices: iPad or PC? 3 months 2 weeks ago #6584

I did a photo shoot yesterday at a business office with 6 people and it was flawless. I tethered to my Macbook from the D800. Since the D800 is USB3 the transfers were super fast and images would appear quickly. I used Lightroom to display and select the images which is also great since I am used to it. When allowing someone to choose photos I display them in Survey View (N key) and have them remove the ones they don't like first, making selection easier. I then star the final image before going back to grid view with 1-5 keys.

Tethering choices: iPad or PC? 3 months 2 weeks ago #6585

• Roy van Ommen
  • Creative minds for all!
  • Thank you received: 86
Yeah ... i am not a real big fan of tethering and i will tell you why.

Almost all photographers and models come to a point where you are a little uncomfortable to see yourself or to see your pictures at a big screen where the customer can also see it. So when you F up a image, the customer will see instant...

In my opinion, for checking if things are right like histrogram, composition, lighting etcetera, you can check the back of the screen. If you want to shoot tethered because you want to check focus, please be sure when you take a photograph, it will be in focus and train yourself into that. Shooting tethering will not help.

Off course, thats my opinion :)

Greetings,
Roy

Tethering choices: iPad or PC? 3 months 2 weeks ago #6589

Thanks Greg and Roy for the responses. I've been a little slow to get back as I consider your suggestions. The Surface 4 is something new to me, so I took some time to look into it. Most users love it but many complain of short battery life. Also a pretty large group, maybe 25%, call it buggy and unreliable. Maybe a quality control problem. But the price is right and it has a lot going for it. It's still in the running.

Re USB to Firewire there is the new Manfrotto Digital Director for iPad Pro 12.9 and Nikon and Canon DSLR Cameras. It's a mount which connects the iPad via Firewire to a processor which is connected via USB to the camera. The Eye-Fi alternative is much cheaper and still looks good to me.

Roy I like your reasoning, but I shoot a lot of church groups. Their faces are too small on the camera back to really know whether all the eyes are open, in focus and clear of shadows. The bigger screen will help a lot in that case. But I hear you about training myself.

Tethering choices: iPad or PC? 3 months 2 weeks ago #6590

What is the eyefi product called? I did a quick video on the director last year, looks great but pricey when you add it to a $700-$1000 iPad.

Tethering choices: iPad or PC? 3 months 2 weeks ago #6591

I'm looking at the Eyefi MobiPro, an SDHC card with built in WiFi. It connects to any device via a free app so you can send RAW and/or Jpg images direct from the camera. A 32 GB card sells for $99 and includes a month free sample of their cloud service. Having CC, I really don't need eyefi's cloud but it's free so why not try it? After the first month it's about $5 per.

And you say the Director is pricey? That was exactly my reaction, too.