Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the #Cazillions forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.

TOPIC: In regards to PHOTOCADEMY Lesson #1

In regards to PHOTOCADEMY Lesson #1 1 week 4 days ago #6604

• ER
  • Fresh Boarder
This is really a question ...

I have been listening through the Photocademy (excellent word!) videos and when you all are discussing why it goes from (why shutter speeds) from 1/60 to 1/125...

First let me say I am a complete novice relative to you all and this is a guess.

I tried to Google the answer.

And still this is a guess...

I have noticed that on my d3300 (which I LOVE with the expeed 4 sensor or processor as on the d7200 -- I just wish I had the d500 or a good full frame camera or an expeed 4 that had a motor in the body)...

Anyway I noticed that the shutter speed stops at 1/4000th of a second. So maybe they are not going UP, but dropping from the highest (or smallest I mean : 1/4000th on my d3300 and it also BTW has a 1/80th, 1/100th and then the 1/125th...).

Anyway I have been watching and listening to the photocademy series (thank you really for your contribution) and when you all mention why you are not sure mathematically why the stops are that way -- perhaps or possibly it could be they start as described above.

I also and this is a different subject just wanted to say that for me when I first started subscribing to this channel on youtube -- definitely the histogram videos were most helpful.

I am however having trouble with one thing.

I use the Nikon Capture NX 2 Software and not the adobe and if the histogram has any of the levels too high (the peaks are "above" the border of the histogram, then I can not figure out how to "fix them in post". So maybe I am either over-exposed when I shoot the images or I need to be able to fix them in post I guess because "when I chimp" they are in the camera pretty much just to the right on the histogram.

Thanks.

For some sample images if you are an amazon prime member (they are free and on the cover just go to amazon and search for IKALSEMI).
The administrator has disabled public write access.

In regards to PHOTOCADEMY Lesson #1 1 week 4 days ago #6605

Hopefully I am answering your questions... A full 'stop' (doubling or halving the amount of light) is as follows for shutter speeds. Any numbers you see in between them, like 1/80th, is a partial stop. Most cameras can be set to change by 1/3 stops, 1/2 stops or full stops.
1 second
1/2
1/4
1/8
1/15
1/30
1/60
1/125
1/250
1/500
1/1000
1/2000
1/4000
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

In regards to PHOTOCADEMY Lesson #1 1 week 4 days ago #6606

ER wrote:
I use the Nikon Capture NX 2 Software and not the adobe and if the histogram has any of the levels too high (the peaks are "above" the border of the histogram, then I can not figure out how to "fix them in post". So maybe I am either over-exposed when I shoot the images or I need to be able to fix them in post I guess because "when I chimp" they are in the camera pretty much just to the right on the histogram.

Are the peaks on the right side or the middle?

In regards to PHOTOCADEMY Lesson #1 1 week 4 days ago #6607

• ER
  • Fresh Boarder
Thank you.

This is a two part Post

(1) What I was saying was at the 4:40 mark in the video or so Katherine discusses the shutter speeds and mentions that it does not make sense mathematically (the step from 60 to 125). After not finding an answer on Google myself I thought maybe it could be that they go up (from 1/4000th on to 1/125th THEN to 1/60th as she explained) that may be the reason for the anomaly in the sequence. In the video, Katherine is starting at 15th a second...

Here is a link to your video at the content at the relevant time:

-

(2) Regarding your next reply, the peaks are on the left (the ones that are leaving the histogram boundaries, though in the camera and on the pc still it is to the right, the far left peaks are "too high" -- as you advise I am moving the histogram as far right as possible, but in the Capture NX, whether in M mode or S mode the left peaks are just a tad above the border).

Also is there, when for instance hiking, a recommended way to carry two cameras (one with a 35mm lens and one with a zoom lens)?

Thanks
Last Edit: 1 week 4 days ago by ER.

In regards to PHOTOCADEMY Lesson #1 1 week 3 days ago #6609

Shutter speeds are in fractions of a second, just like 3rd grade math class.

In regards to PHOTOCADEMY Lesson #1 1 week 3 days ago #6610

Can you post a screenshot of a histogram and the corresponding image?

In regards to PHOTOCADEMY Lesson #1 1 week 2 days ago #6611

• ER
  • Fresh Boarder
I tried to attach it to this message.

It has been sent to your email with subject attn Greg from ER re forum discussion

Also (and I called your phone about this and maybe some others could chime in as well), would it be possible with the contests to once in a while have the winning photo in the @cazillo store?

Either on a temporary or permanent basis...

I think this would (I am now chiming) be an excellent award along with the current prize(s) and honor(s) being offered and also a sort of record (or resume item for a photographer)...

Anyway it is attached for you in the email, I could not attach the file here in the forum.
Last Edit: 4 days 6 hours ago by Gregory Cazillo.

In regards to PHOTOCADEMY Lesson #1 4 days 6 hours ago #6613

I'd have to think about it, not sure most people would want that. Anyway I received your voicemails and while I don't mind helping people at all over the internet I don't have the time to speak over the phone especially this time of the year.

The image you sent looks fine, definitely some tough conditions with the dark truck and clouds in the sky. You probably couldn't do any better without doing an HDR merge. If you are worried in the future with a shot like this I suggest doing a bracketing sequence with 2/3 or 1 stop difference between each shot for 5-7 frames. That would give you the option of HDR or just being able to pick the best exposure. FYI there is no need to have your camera on Adobe98 color profile when shooting RAW, all it does is move the underscore to the beginning of the filename.