Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the #Cazillions forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.

TOPIC: Share Your Story! What Got You In To Photography?

Share Your Story! What Got You In To Photography? 4 years 10 months ago #765

• Christian Udarbe
  • Gold Boarder
  • Just go out and shoot
  • Thank you received: 12
So, we have a thread where we can share our gear, share our sites/galleries, and several other threads where we post our photos. The thing that’s missing is how we fell in love with photography in the first place. And that’s where this thread comes in!

Share your introduction to the world of photography and what motivated you to continue to learn about photography!

Here’s my story:

Like every great movie or book (even video games), it started with a girl. Well, it started with my dad actually, since he actually owned an SLR but I never really cared for it until I met this girl and she was really into photography. After getting really interested in the girl, I thought of joining in her hobby; as it turns out, I fell harder for photography than the girl!

Not long after, I got my first DSLR, Nikon D5000; later getting more equipment and inheriting my father’s Canon AE-1 SLR.

Like every bittersweet movie or book (heck even games), I never did go out with that girl, but I owe her a lot since she got me interested in photography. 15 months later, I don’t see myself grow weary of photography; in fact, I am more motivated than ever to learn new things.

What keeps me that motivated? Seeing fellow photographers get beautiful shots to die for. They inspire me to see the world in a creatively beautiful angle than the bland, sad, and hideous reality.

My introduction to the world of photography may seem shallow, but that’s what got me here today, meeting you guys in this forum; befriending each other; sharing techniques and whatnot; giving unbiased critiques to photos; simply, making each other better in what we love. :)

So that’s my story; what’s yours?

(here’s hoping others will really share LOL)

A medical student;
A musician;
A photographer;
ITS ALL AN ART

Blogger
Facebook
Flickr
Twitter: @ChanUdarbe

Add me up!
Last Edit: 4 years 10 months ago by Christian Udarbe.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Share Your Story! What Got You In To Photography? 4 years 10 months ago #767

• Serdar Dikdik
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
as it turns out, I fell harder for photography than the girl!

Hahaha christian you really made me lough there.

My story,
My high school best friend went to usa to work there and few years later he got married to a really nice girl. One summer they came to istanbul for a visit and she had a nikon dx slr on her. After seeing the photos and holding a dslr I decided to give it try and went to buy my d7000 that just came out with a 24-70 on it. We figured out the seller and I ,know each other from past and he is really a nice guy. My visits to him became weekly to talk have fun and ending me having new equipment everytime. There goes my educational video you t ube searchs and finding dear cazillo and here I am.

By the way perfect topic, thank you christian.
Bigger is Better
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

Re: Share Your Story! What Got You In To Photography? 4 years 10 months ago #773

• Christian Udarbe
  • Gold Boarder
  • Just go out and shoot
Thanks for the share Serdar! It's wonderful that you know the seller. Makes it easier to buy stuff and talk about the latest equipment that way.

Hope others will also share. It's interesting to find out what got us all in to photography and eventually joining this forum.

Thanks again! ;)

A medical student;
A musician;
A photographer;
ITS ALL AN ART

Blogger
Facebook
Flickr

Add me up!

Re: Share Your Story! What Got You In To Photography? 4 years 10 months ago #774

• Olaf Kleemeyer
  • Expert Boarder
Photos of other photographers came first. It impressed me to see all these old photos of former times that keep stories and persons alive. In the late seventies I started with a used Nikon FE and bought myself a rather new FE2 in the mid-eighties (I still have and use it with an xp2 from time to time).
First, I mocked digital photography cause I could never imagine that the imagequality could be as good as film. I changed my mind hesistantly while using the D70. But still I think, a good black and white film smokes a lot of sensors in his pipe.
Nikon D700, Nikkor 24mm 1.4, 50mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8

Re: Share Your Story! What Got You In To Photography? 4 years 10 months ago #777

• Christian Udarbe
  • Gold Boarder
  • Just go out and shoot
Thanks for the share Olaf!! :)

Nice that you mentioned black and white films; as I mentioned, I inherited my father's Canon AE-1 SLR, and last month, I got interested in learning film photography. It's something new, and quite scary, but I'm really looking forward to learning more of it.

I'd be more than happy to receive tips from you about how to shoot with film, particularly black and white! :)

Thanks again!

More sharings, fellow Cazillions!

A medical student;
A musician;
A photographer;
ITS ALL AN ART

Blogger
Facebook
Flickr

Add me up!

Re: Share Your Story! What Got You In To Photography? 4 years 10 months ago #780

• Olaf Kleemeyer
  • Expert Boarder
Christian, shooting with film is no big deal. Remember Greg advising to care about the light and shoot 24 frames without checking the monitor? Try that out (if you didn´t yet) and you will probably find your images as good as before, when you chimped a lot. This will increase your confidence to change to the AE-1. Photographing itself works absolutely the same way as it does with a DSLR.
Talking about film-material: If I were you, I wouldn´t process the films by myself in the beginning. This process is not so easy, you have to keep many things in mind. I´m still using the Ilford XP2 a lot, which can be processed with the C41-System like color-negativ-films. Just bring it to a photo-store and they will do the processing of the negatives for you. Then you can scan the negatives at home. Real black-and-white films like the HP 5 or neopan acros (processed D76-wise) are awsome, but these films have to be processed by yourself to provide maximum control about lights and blacks.
Another plus for the XP2 is that you can change the ISO from 200 to 800 whithout changing the film. I guess, you can´t do that with other films.
I hope, this helps you out a little :-)
Nikon D700, Nikkor 24mm 1.4, 50mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8

Re: Share Your Story! What Got You In To Photography? 4 years 10 months ago #796

• Christian Udarbe
  • Gold Boarder
  • Just go out and shoot
Thanks for that Olaf! I will be on the lookout for good films this weekend as I shop for some ND filters and possibly an extension tube or reverse ring. LOL I got really inspired by our fellow cazillion and his macro photos! :lol:

A medical student;
A musician;
A photographer;
ITS ALL AN ART

Blogger
Facebook
Flickr

Add me up!