Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the #Cazillions forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.

TOPIC: Greetings from Germany

Greetings from Germany 4 years 10 months ago #894

• Zoltan Martel
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Hello everyone,

I'm an experienced amateur snapshooter from Aachen in Germany.

No professional ambitions in photography at all, but have been taking photographs since I was 8 years old.

I like making snapshots, as in recording a moment or subject of emotional or other interest, and I like controlling the entire process of creating images from shooting to developing to printing.

Mainly shooting film, I develop myself then scan and process for prints digitally. I'm still learning digital.

90% of my shots are captured through a fast 50 mm or equivalent lens. I don't particularly like zoom lenses or long focal distance tele lenses, nor conspicuous, noisy or heavy equipment. I like small light bodies with fast primes and minimal functionality, but the right functionality.

I wish you all a nice day and lots of success and happiness, and I look forward to learning a few things from the forum.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Greetings from Germany 4 years 10 months ago #897

• Olaf Kleemeyer
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
Hello Zoltan,

welcome. Have fun and make good contacts. We all have the chance to learn a lot from eachother. That´s what makes this forum worthwhile.

Und viele Grüße nach NRW aus Berlin ;)

Olaf
Nikon D700, Nikkor 24mm 1.4, 50mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

Re: Greetings from Germany 4 years 10 months ago #898

• Serdar Dikdik
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Welcome to our family.
Bigger is Better

Re: Greetings from Germany 4 years 10 months ago #900

• Zoltan Martel
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks guys!

Re: Greetings from Germany 4 years 10 months ago #902

• Andrew Olson
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
Hello Zoltan and welcome!

What kind of film cameras/film formats have you been using?

Andy

Re: Greetings from Germany 4 years 10 months ago #907

• Christian Udarbe
  • Gold Boarder
  • Just go out and shoot
  • Thank you received: 12
Welcome Zoltan!

Nice! shooting film; would want to learn that some time as I still have the fear of making mistakes since I can't review them immediately after LOL

It'd be great if you give me (and us, most likely) some tips when I (or we LOL) would seek them :)

Welcome to the forums and enjoy!! ;)

A medical student;
A musician;
A photographer;
ITS ALL AN ART

Blogger
Facebook
Flickr
Twitter: @ChanUdarbe

Add me up!

Re: Greetings from Germany 4 years 10 months ago #909

• Zoltan Martel
  • Fresh Boarder
Andrew Olson wrote:

What kind of film cameras/film formats have you been using?

120mm 6x6 Kodak Brownie Starmatic(first camera when I was 8, found it on my grandparents' attic, don't have it anymore)
120mm 6x7 Pentax, recently switched to Mamiya 7, incredible image quality, especially with Velvia 50 and 80mm f4 lens
35mm Konica C35 (was my first 35mm film format camera, don't have it anymore)
35mm Pentax SLR (my first 35mm SLR, electronics failed after 20 years of service)
35mm Nikon FM3a (my favorite camera, also my main camera)
35mm Nikon F80 w/battery grip (use it for occasional wildlife)
35mm Leica M3 (don't have it anymore, wasn't that practical but great fun)
35mm Leica R8 (was a bad decision, it worked great and had the best viewfinder of any SLR I've ever seen, but it was too heavy and bulky, and the FM3a is just much faster to use and even the MF Nikkor lenses are more modern than the Leica R lenses and just perform better)
35mm Olympus Mu-II (great compact, weatherproof, excellent 35mm f2.8 lens, still take it with me everywhere, there still is no digital compact that can provide the same image quality and 3-year battery life)

I use Fuji Velvia in 120mm format and Fuji Provia in 35mm format
For Black and White I use Kodak TriX, for High ISO Ilford Delta.
I use Adox and Ilford chemicals for B/W developing, I have given up developing colour slide film a long time ago by lack of time, but I still develop all my B/W film myself in a daylight tank, mostly while on the telephone in my office.

Re: Greetings from Germany 4 years 10 months ago #911

• Zoltan Martel
  • Fresh Boarder
Christian Udarbe wrote:
Nice! shooting film; would want to learn that some time as I still have the fear of making mistakes since I can't review them immediately after LOL

I find digital more difficult than film, I think sensors are less tolerant and consistent than film, especially negative film, it's hard to do something wrong with a good negative film, the usable dynamic range of for instance a 400 ISO B/W negative film, (if appreciated by the same standards as used for digital sensors, so including pushing, fine developers etc, and taking into account that what is now considered usable dynamic range for digital sensors is measured by a lower standard than for film), is incredible.
Also the lenses that are available now for DSLR's are much sharper and have less artefacts than even the best and most expensive lenses that were available for 35mm film, the sharpness that is expected of modern DSLRs and lenses is something that was never expected of any 35mm format film camera. However, the sharpness, colour rendition and contrast from FX format DSLRs is still a long way from reaching the sharpness of Mamiya 7 or Hasselblad.
I think that if you are proficient in DSLR photography, 35mm film SLR's or rangefinders are easy.
I find DSLRs difficult to use, because they have a lot of features and it's not always clear what functionality is preprogrammed, what the parameters are, and which mode does what exactly. I'm used to shooting manual with cameras without features, and there is a huge logic in controlling cameras with only mechanical or very basic electronic controls. I use my DSLR like my FM3a, so I don't want buttons or programs and features, because it makes me insecure about what is going to happen, and looking at a JPEG rendition of a RAW picture on a 3 inch screen doesn't change that. I appreciate that the modern features allow for new techniques, like high speed flash syncing, in-camera multiple channel flash control, measuring pre-flash bursts, etc..., but I don't know it enough to do something with it to be honest, and as RAW pics cannot be viewed on the camera monitor, I don't think that the presence of the monitor changes anything in terms of being able to really immediately review the shots. The Nikon Picture Control allows for some kind of control over the rendition of the RAW files on the camera monitor, which is a good thing, but still the monitor is way too small and very limited in comparison to prints.
What worries me the most is that it's hard to get to know a sensor like a type of film. With Provia400 for instance, I know exactly what the end result will be when I take the shot, while with DSLRs that are phased out every 3 years or so, the sensor properties change and I feel very insecure about what the end result will be, and the more I try to look at the monitor, the more insecure I get :)
Also the fact that DSLR viewfinders are not like SLR or rangefinder viewfinders, makes me insecure about settings, and frankly, apart from the AF systems of the D3s with AF-S Nikkors, I'm not particularly impressed with the AF systems of DSLRs, and manual focusing is just not easy anymore unless with an aftermarket focus screen that screws up the metering.
But I know that digital is the way to go forward, and I have to learn it.