Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Looking for a new website in the future.

Looking for a new website in the future. 4 years 3 months ago #2154

• Daniel Rochat
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I'm currently using a 500px website because it was easy to get up and running right off the bat, but I'm looking to build a more unique website when I get close to finishing my school towards the end of the year. My brother who is a little more computer savvy is going to help out when the time comes. Would Wordpress be the best option without getting overly complicated?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Looking for a new website in the future. 4 years 3 months ago #2158

• Roy van Ommen
  • Creative minds for all!
  • Thank you received: 86
Wordpress would do the job very good.

Just like Joomla. Joomla has more extensions compared to Wordpress. And i personally like Joomla more compared to wordpress (maybe because i co developped Joomla :) )

Good luck on your site. Would love to see it !:)

Greetings,
Roy
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

Re: Looking for a new website in the future. 4 years 3 months ago #2167

• Paul Ciura
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Nikon D7000, Tokina 50-135 f/2.8
Hey Daniel,

I can tell you that I have 500px (not very active there), I had SmugMug for one year and same goes for Zenfolio. Never really had any issues with neither one.

I did want a bit more customization abilities. Wordpress gives me that. I am on Wordpress for the current setup. I like the ability to make more custom pages as needed and plenty of plugins to choose from. I am with BlueHost for my hosting plan.

I will be using SmugMug again with my Wordpress site, but this time only as a subdomain for selling prints and customer access. I already use BayPhoto as my print lab and the two work great together.
-Paul Ciura
www.paulciura.com

Re: Looking for a new website in the future. 4 years 3 months ago #2173

Either is good, I also prefer Joomla. Wordpress is mostly a blogging site, Joomla is whatever you want it to be and is more of a CMS Framework. That framework allows you to build whatever you want. It does have a steeper learning curve but you have us to help you ;).

Re: Looking for a new website in the future. 4 years 3 months ago #2177

• Roy van Ommen
Gregory Cazillo wrote:
Either is good, I also prefer Joomla. Wordpress is mostly a blogging site, Joomla is whatever you want it to be and is more of a CMS Framework. That framework allows you to build whatever you want. It does have a steeper learning curve but you have us to help you ;).

Agree! :)

Re: Looking for a new website in the future. 4 years 3 months ago #2185

• Daniel Rochat
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Thanks for the advice and I'll be looking into the ones mentioned. Customization is what I'm looking for. I'd like to be able to do sub folders, like buttons and all that fun stuff. I might start building in the new year so it's good to go for when I'm out of school and (hopefully) working.
Last Edit: 4 years 3 months ago by Daniel Rochat.

Re: Looking for a new website in the future. 4 years 2 months ago #2196

• Roy van Ommen
Daniel Rochat wrote:
Thanks for the advice and I'll be looking into the ones mentioned. Customization is what I'm looking for. I'd like to be able to do sub folders, like buttons and all that fun stuff. I might start building in the new year so it's good to go for when I'm out of school and (hopefully) working.

Wauw, i got shivers from that. As a web builder myself for some customers, i will definatly will say, watch out with the buttons. Try to get it professional and try to get it right. A good website is like your photo portfolio. With a crappy looking site, you will not get the intrested clients as you want to..

Try to get a decent site. Let people look at it and try to get it monkey proof. If a monkey can sort it out, people can do it too :)

Just my 2 cents :)

Greetings,
Roy

Re: Looking for a new website in the future. 4 years 2 months ago #2214

Watch out for a lot of sub folders and sub navigation, ideally your visitors should be able to get to any page within 3 clicks, max of 4.

Looking for a new website in the future. 3 years 11 months ago #2513

Wordpress is exactly like joomla. It can be whatever you want it to be, and from a personal point of view more easily to use/master.

I do recommend using premium templates as they are modified to suit your needs, highly customizable and many of them comes with a in-built portfolio.

I've been using both, and are now settled on this: sebdal.com/ (Sorry its in Norwegian)
My website is made with wordpress and skyfashion template which was about $40.

Get a professional template here: themeforest.net/category/site-templates/creative/portfolio

Also. If you go for joomla my advice goes for that aswell. Get a premium-template. You will not regret it.