Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Flickr Removing Google and Facebook Sign-In

Flickr Removing Google and Facebook Sign-In 2 years 7 months ago #5848

• Conor Casey
  • Thank you received: 55
Hi all,

Sorry I haven't been around much; I've been busy with university work and haven't really picked up a camera in a while.

Anyway, I just logged into Flickr and noticed that Yahoo has decided that we all now need a Yahoo account in order to use Flickr. This means I can no longer use my Google account to login to my Flickr account. Is anyone else getting this message? If so, let me know what you think.

Personally, I think it's a load of crap. I've used gmail since I started using email and I like that Flickr and Yahoo are separate. I don't want to have to create another email address to use Flickr. It's like Greg making us all create an email with his site in order for us to use it; it's madness. Who even uses Yahoo mail anyway? I mean, I like gmail. I have used it for years and I know how it works. What is the sense in Yahoo making us create an email account that most of us will never use? Honestly, with all the changes Flickr is making of late, I might soon be deleting my account and this could well be the last straw. Flickr has really gone down hill and I feel this is pushing users away from the product.

Rant over.

Let me know what you think. :)
Conor Casey
Flickr
Last Edit: 2 years 7 months ago by Conor Casey.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Flickr Removing Google and Facebook Sign-In 2 years 7 months ago #5849

• Brent Ross
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 33
Creating closed wall ecosystems seems to be how businesses do things these days. It's unfortunate, but makes business sense. I don't feel however yahoo is in the position to try this tactic as flikr alone is not going to get people to leave other ecosystems.
Last Edit: 2 years 7 months ago by Brent Ross.
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

Flickr Removing Google and Facebook Sign-In 2 years 7 months ago #5850

• jerry
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 31
I for one won't use yahoo or any other mail account other than what I have. I would like to hear Greg's input on this situation, what is he going to do if/when flikr changes? Will he continue using flikr or change to something else so we can post images here?

But you do have that option to sign in with facebook, or is that changing also?
Last Edit: 2 years 7 months ago by jerry.

Flickr Removing Google and Facebook Sign-In 2 years 7 months ago #5851

• Roy van Ommen
  • Creative minds for all!
  • Thank you received: 86
Well, i can still login with Google or Facebook...

Flickr Removing Google and Facebook Sign-In 2 years 7 months ago #5852

• jerry
  • Gold Boarder
Well, as long as we can sign in with facebook account, I think we will be safe...hopefully

Flickr Removing Google and Facebook Sign-In 2 years 7 months ago #5853

You are free to use whatever service you want to post photos here. I recommend Flickr since its easy. If you would like to write instructions and give me screenshots for another service go for it.

From day 1 I had asked people to use another photo sharing service mainly to save server space. Thats not as big of a deal nowadays that I am running this site on Amazon Web Services and use s3 for image storage :0) but it would be nice (and more social) for people to share their photography in other locations too. See link below!

cazillo-community-images.s3.amazonaws.co...66_517ee27f9dbd1.jpg

Flickr Removing Google and Facebook Sign-In 2 years 7 months ago #5854

• jerry
  • Gold Boarder
something must be wrong with that link, my avatar pops up

Flickr Removing Google and Facebook Sign-In 2 years 7 months ago #5855

Nope that is the point, its your photo that was uploaded to the site but its hosted on s3.

Flickr Removing Google and Facebook Sign-In 2 years 6 months ago #5994

• Erik Ballew
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 30
I don't understand why it's such a big deal. I've got a Google account that doesn't really do anything for me, other than email. I've got a Facebook account that well I can Facebook with. However neither of these accounts give me 1 freaking TB of FREE space, to upload my FULL RESOLUTION files to, for storage and delivery, and if I ever learn to use the social aspect of it. THERE is another audience for my work.

And all I've got to do is sign up, just like I did with the rest. What's the big deal?

Flickr Removing Google and Facebook Sign-In 2 years 6 months ago #5996

• Brent Ross
  • Gold Boarder
I agree, its not a big deal. I actually signed up with a yahoo account when fb and google sign ins were still possible. So I didnt even notice them remove the functionality.

Also that is a powerfully manly beard you have

Flickr Removing Google and Facebook Sign-In 2 years 6 months ago #5997

• Conor Casey
  • Thank you received: 55
Fair point; perhaps it's not as big as a deal as I originally expected. But it's still another username and another password that I have to remember to log in to Flickr. It just seems like a waste of time to me as I will never use the account.

Also, Flickr has become quite unpleasant and clunky to use over the last few months. I do like the storage for images though.

But it seems like an underhanded way from Yahoo to get people to use Yahoo mail, which is pretty bad.

Erik Ballew wrote:
I've got a Google account that doesn't really do anything for me, other than email. I've got a Facebook account that well I can Facebook with.

Erik: In fairness, your Google account probably offers more than just email. At the very least, I'd say you are a Youtube user as well. I'd also wager that you use Google to search. You can also use Google Docs, Google maps, Google calendar, Google Plus and Google Drive, which Yahoo doesn't offer. So it's not really the same thing. Okay the free space on Flickr is fine but you also get free space on the Google Drive. Yahoo needs to offer more to get people to want to use it instead of forcing people into creating accounts with them like they are the next GDR government.
Conor Casey
Flickr
Last Edit: 2 years 6 months ago by Conor Casey.

Flickr Removing Google and Facebook Sign-In 2 years 6 months ago #5998

• Brent Ross
  • Gold Boarder
you cant blame yahoo.
you get a free service.
having a login and using yahoo mail and yahoo search probably helps to target ads.

But there isn't an incentive to use that garbage.

I only know the new flickr, so I'm ignorantly happy with the clunckiness :D
Last Edit: 2 years 6 months ago by Brent Ross.
  • Page: