Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: DSLRs Are a Dying Breed

DSLRs Are a Dying Breed 4 years 10 months ago #441

• beast
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Interesting article by Trey Ratcliff here.

I agree with Trey that these mirrorless cameras will replace DLSRs eventually. The question is how long will the transtion take? 5 years, 10 years?

Anyone have thoughts on this article?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: DSLRs Are a Dying Breed 4 years 10 months ago #442

i didnt read the article, but sony is looking to release the 1st full frame mirror-less camera this coming year (a99) along with there replacement to the a900. this might set he bar with "mirror-less".
dslrs will be around for a long time to come. 35mm film has died so why would dslrs? just my 2 cents.
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

Re: DSLRs Are a Dying Breed 4 years 10 months ago #443

• Josh Salley
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I am a big fan of Trey and I tend to agree with him. It's kinda scary to think about having a pro DSLR that can shoot 30, 40, 50fps....

I don't know if I agree with him about them getting smaller. I mean when you hold a D3S or a 1D Mark 4, it just feels good in the hands. So I think they will relatively stay the same size. Perhaps they will get lighter.
Capturing a moment and freezing it in time.

Re: DSLRs Are a Dying Breed 4 years 10 months ago #444

• Rowdy Troutt
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
I do see some photographers moving over to these new cameras but not all by any means. To many have invested in good glass to move over with any great speed. From what I understand there is no way that current SLR lens would work with these new cameras. I could be wrong. That and the fact that 30fps shooting takes the Photographer out of photography. Three years ago I would go to reenactments and take 500-600 shots. Maybe 50 would be good. Maybe... Now I go to one, and having learned a great deal about shooting, can take the same amount of shots and get 60% or more come out as shots I would like to save and use, and even more that are not bad shots. Given the rapid action of a WWII reenacted battle taking place in front of me I know that I will never get every shot but I I will always be able to get that percentage up. Now with one of these cameras I could theortically shoot 1000's of shots with no buffer limit. Would I get some great shots? Yes. Would I be throw the majority out? Yes as at that point there would be so many duplicates. Spray and shoot is not art. Might as well shoot video and take screen caps.
Last Edit: 4 years 10 months ago by Rowdy Troutt.

Re: DSLRs Are a Dying Breed 4 years 10 months ago #447

• Christian Udarbe
  • Gold Boarder
  • Just go out and shoot
  • Thank you received: 12
This seems scary true. As I would welcome any new technology with open arms, this, to me, is scary simply because I just started getting really interested with Digital Photography last year and have been spending a lot on some fine glass here and there. :lol: hahahha

I am thinking (maybe hoping) it will really be a trend, and the bread and butter for all, by 10 years time. That would give me enough time to enjoy my current DSLR and glass before switching over, if ever they will take over DSLR's. :P

A medical student;
A musician;
A photographer;
ITS ALL AN ART

Blogger
Facebook
Flickr
Twitter: @ChanUdarbe

Add me up!

Re: DSLRs Are a Dying Breed 4 years 10 months ago #450

• Nathan P.
  • Fresh Boarder
I think it will stay as a consumer tread for sometime.

Though with the advancedment of DSLR over film.. I'm thinking it was similarly scary at that time. With the new(at that time) technology coming out that was okay for results and the look toward the future seemed grim for 35mm. There was probably a similar article written then.

Re: DSLRs Are a Dying Breed 4 years 10 months ago #457

• Olaf Kleemeyer
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
I don´t agree, 35mm-film has died. At least here in Europe, many people (pros included) still take photos on film, especially when it comes to black and white. And the results are awesome.
Mirror-less cameras might become an option some day. I must say, I really don´t care about the photo-technique, as long as the results are good.
Nikon D700, Nikkor 24mm 1.4, 50mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8

Re: DSLRs Are a Dying Breed 4 years 10 months ago #459

my mistake, i meant to say that 35mm 'isn't' dead yet and will be around for a long time, same will go with dslr cameras. i work for a photo lab and we still get a lot of 35mm film coming through that needs developing. also have to mention that we sell plenty of 35mm film and disposable cameras. sorry for the confession.

Re: DSLRs Are a Dying Breed 4 years 10 months ago #493

• Greg Griffith
  • Junior Boarder
I have been following Trey for years now and when I first read that article it put me in a bit of shock. The new mirrorless cameras, to me, are just Rangefinders for the most part. They look and operate just like everything Leica has been doing with digital cameras for years. My biggest set-back with these mirrorless cameras are the size, because I enjoy having a firm grip on my camera, and the access to controls. These mirrorless cameras do not seem to have quick access controls at your fingertips like the DSLRs we all know and love.

Re: DSLRs Are a Dying Breed 4 years 10 months ago #515

• Serdar Dikdik
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
For me its is silly to stop buying lenses and cameras and wait for the future mirrorless.

Especially in computer business, I have friends having 6 years old computers and everytime they wanna buy new, a news comes about the newer version so they wait the newer ones again and again. result still on old stuff waiting the future ones to come out.that wait never stops.

Live the day. dont wait the future. personely I like to hold that mirrored slr and carry that heavy 24-70 on it. I like to clean it in weekend and like to carry it on my bag.Slowly taking my precious out from my bag gives me pleasure.

If that time comes on future, you can change the newer ones.
Bigger is Better