Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Nikon D800

Nikon D800 4 years 9 months ago #1009

• Andrew Olson
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
The Nikon D800 was just announced.

www.nikon.com/news/2012/0207_dslr_01.htm

Andy
Last Edit: 4 years 9 months ago by Andrew Olson.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Nikon D800 4 years 9 months ago #1012

• Mistery
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 16
Nice camera, but I'll have no need for it.
D800 w/grip, D700 w/grip,V1,14-24mm F/2.8, 24-70mm F/2.8, 70-200mm F/2.8, 200-400mm F/4, 105mm,F/2.8,35mm F/1.4,35mm F/1.8, 85mm F/1.4,1.7x Tele
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

Re: Nikon D800 4 years 9 months ago #1048

• Rowdy Troutt
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
This is the camera that I plan on getting. I will wait about 6-8 months from now though to make sure no problems arise. I have been wanting to upgrade from my d5000 for a few months now. Hopefully the price will go down. If not I might have to wait for the d7000 or something to get replaced and go with that. 3k is just a bit out of my price range for right now.

Re: Nikon D800 4 years 9 months ago #1056

• Andrew Olson
  • Senior Boarder
My uncle has a D800 ordered, so maybe I will get to see it when it arrives.

Andy

Re: Nikon D800 4 years 9 months ago #1060

• Zoltan Martel
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
There are a few strange specs to the D800 though, like only standard flash sync speed, only being able to use CaptureNX RAW conversion to fully counter the moiré effects with the D800E, the strange shape of the upper grip with an odd feeling to the placement of the shutter release button, the reduced battery life, the memory card formats, 60 MB filesize per shot.
If the D800/D800E is the successor to the D3x more than to the D700, then maybe the D400 will be the successor to the FX sensor D700 more than to the DX sensor D300s.
Might get interesting.
I think the D800E is great though, it's basically like a DX Phase One with the added convenience of the 35mm cameras and functionality. It might just be that Nikon has set a new standard with the D800E, just like Leica did with the 35mm format. I could imagine taking a D800E out on the streets, but not a Leica S or 1Dx for instance.
It like in the last days of pro film, when there were a lot of pros that went for the F100 instead of the F5 out of convenience.
Also the price breakthrough is pretty amazing. There is no way to step into medium format digital back image quality at that pricepoint from any other manufacturer. 3.300 USD is a steal for the image quality, and on top of that the D800E has the convenience of a modern pro Nikon body with all the features like very good AF system (Nikon is lightyears ahead in the AF system on it's pro bodies in my opinion), full Nikon system integration (except for FPsync that it, hope there will be a firmware update for that), ergonomics (except for the odd shape of the shutter release plate and upper part of the grip).
I think it's also pretty fair of Nikon to release it almost at the same time as the D4, so Nikon pros really know the options before deciding on which camera to invest in.

Re: Nikon D800 4 years 9 months ago #1062

• Olaf Kleemeyer
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
Hope, Nikon ´ll gonna bring out another FX-Model for serious amateurs. The D800 is good for studio but ain´t no successor to the D700. But I don´t care, as long as Nikon leaves the D700 on market. It´s still a great camera what the D800 won´t change.
Nikon D700, Nikkor 24mm 1.4, 50mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8

Re: Nikon D800 4 years 9 months ago #1063

• Andrew Olson
  • Senior Boarder
The D700 and D300s have been discontinued, and obviously will still be available, but not any new copies.

Looking at Nikon past cameras, merely by date of announcement:

Starting with the Nikon D3, after that was the D700, D3x, D300s, then D3s.

Now the Nikon D4, then D800, D4X?, D400?, D4s?.

Seems like a logical progression given their history.

Maybe there is a cheaper FX camera on the horizon, given that if a DX D400 is announced with anywhere from 16-?? megapixels and some other goodies, there might be a big gap between 16-??MP D400 and 36MP D800, in terms of resolution that is. Just my thoughts.

Andy
Last Edit: 4 years 9 months ago by Andrew Olson.