Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Nikon D7000 Focus Issues

Nikon D7000 Focus Issues 4 years 11 months ago #102

• beast
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Anyone else having auto focus issues with the Nikon D7000?

Here is an example from this weekend. The focus was locked on Frosty (red square) but Frosty is out of focus and the area behind Frosty appears in focus.

I've already sent this body back to have the flash repaired. Now it looks like it is going back for AF repairs.

Just curious if anyone else is having these issues.

BTW. I've had film SLRs and DSLRs for 20+ year (Canon & Nikon) and have not had these issues.

screenshot_01.jpg
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Nikon D7000 Focus Issues 4 years 11 months ago #107

• Andrew Olson
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
How close were you to the subject? It might be because you were too close and could not focus, seeing as how almost nothing is in sharp focus.

If I may go off on a tangent for a moment, and don't take this the wrong way or think I am singling you out. I have never experienced a focus issue with any camera, be it an auto focus SLR or DSLR, and I have used both digital and film AF bodies from Canon and Nikon. The digital cameras I have used are a 7D, 5D mark 2, Rebel T1i, and for Nikon: D200, D5000, D3 and never once I have experienced a 'focus issue.'

I seriously doubt the D7000 is plagued with issues like focus and other things, even though just about every day someone posts a thread saying they cant focus or this or that. I think most of these focus issues (and other issues) are operator errors, and yes there can be some actual issues, but to me most of them seem to be operator errors.

Andy
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

Nikon D7000 Focus Issues 4 years 11 months ago #114

Have you watched this video? https://cazillo.com/articles/37-photography/162-dslr-autofocus-issues.html try some tests like we suggested and see what happens. Make sure you are not on auto area AF or dynamic modes.

Re: Nikon D7000 Focus Issues 4 years 11 months ago #119

• Scott St.Cyr
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
I would have to say there is DEFINITELY a problem with some D7000's focus system. If you remember correctly, Greg, I spoke with you about that one time. I had the same issue. Just do a Google search for "D7000 focus problems" and sit back and grab a cup of joe. There's PLENTY of people with the same issues. I say send it in to Nikon and hope they can fix it. (even though I've seen guys get 2-3 replacements and still have issues) I treat my D700 exactly the same way I did my D7000, same lenses and all... and I have had zero focus problems with it. I was thinking it was me that was the problem. Not the case. It was definitely the camera. I went from about a 10% usability rate to over a 90-95% usability rate. Now the botched photos are my fault, as opposed to before, but now it's more an issue with composition and not focus.
Last Edit: 4 years 11 months ago by Scott St.Cyr.

Re: Nikon D7000 Focus Issues 4 years 11 months ago #130

There is a problem with some d7000. Nikon knows about that and they will repair it. just go to your local camera store and they will send it in.

PS too Greg: why must we enter a code down there, even if we are registrated users?

Re: Nikon D7000 Focus Issues 4 years 11 months ago #145

Captcha will go away after a few posts.

Re: Nikon D7000 Focus Issues 4 years 11 months ago #157

• beast
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Andy - This shot was taken from about 15 feet away. The picture I attached was just a small section of the overall picture. The red square indicates focus lock but it doesn't seem focused to me. It is a hard to tell but the area behind the Frosty seems more in focus to me. I understand your point on AF...but all I can say is that it happens a lot with this camera and almost never on any other camera I've ever used.

Greg - Yes I did catch your video..thanks! I use single point AF almost all of the time unless there is lots of movement. I plan on doing some tests tomorrow to see if I can figure this out. Thanks for the suggestions.

RawSh00ter - Did you sell your D7000? Just wondering if you got yours fixed or just gave up?

Re: Nikon D7000 Focus Issues 4 years 11 months ago #158

• Scott St.Cyr
  • Junior Boarder
I gave up on it. It's clearly a back-focus issue. The problem is that, although you can adjust for it, it changes with focal length. So no matter what you do, it's almost always soft. I fought and fought it. There is no way around the issue as far as I can see it. I've seen plenty of people either exchange them, or send them in to Nikon, and still have issues even with a new body. My co-worker actually has a D7000 that's doing this same exact thing. His didn't start doing it until recently, but it's definitely doing it. I was going to upgrade my wife's D90 for Christmas, but there was absolutely no way I was going to take a chance on having those same problems. It's usually resolved by shooting in Live View (which uses a different focusing system.... phase-detect, not contrast-detect) The consensus on some forums is that it's the mirror causing the problem with vibration. I can see how this would be an issue if there was a design flaw with the mechanism, but I (along with countless others) was experiencing the focus problems at very high shutter speeds. At 1/500th sec and higher shutter speeds, I can't see any vibration as being the problem. I saw the problem at well over 1/4000th-sec. If it were simply a back-focus problem, then it should be able to be adjusted for, even though it did it on all my lenses. (pro lenses) What I saw was that, when it missed focus, NOTHING was focused. Not like it missed and focused behind the subject somewhere, but missed entirely. I shot focus chart after focus chart. It was simply not consistent enough to adjust for, and that was on a tripod with VR off and a remote shutter release. Funny thing is... on my D700 and even on my wife's D90.... with the same lenses... NO PROBLEMS AT ALL.

Forgot to add... all the testing I did was using the center focus-point on all bodies tested.
Last Edit: 4 years 11 months ago by Scott St.Cyr.

Re: Nikon D7000 Focus Issues 4 years 11 months ago #169

Wow I was going to start a tread on this yesterday but didn't have time. I have basically only used my D7000 for weddings. (I second shoot) Any way, I've put over 20 weddings thru this thing and the results have been fantastic! Until my last wedding. Probably 80% of my images were soft. I thought at first it was back focus (some images it was) but after looking more thoroughly I discovered it looks more like motion blur. Or maybe even like the image was shot as extremely high ISO. (like 3200+) Anyway I have been torn on what to do. I rented a D700 for this weekend's wedding and am trying to figure out if I'm just going to sell my 7000 or send it in for repair? Don't want to throw money at this if it's not going to be fixed... Anyone sent their's in and had it returned actually fixed? I send my lenses right to Nikon New York. Any suggestions with the body? Thanks for any help... Love the Forum!

Re: Nikon D7000 Focus Issues 4 years 11 months ago #171

• Scott St.Cyr
  • Junior Boarder
Yup. Very sorry to hear that man. That's how it happens. Then you start thinking you're doing something wrong. It's NOT YOU.

Nikon D7000 Focus Issues 4 years 11 months ago #182

If you are doing pro work with it you can risk it, send it in for repair.

Re: Nikon D7000 Focus Issues 4 years 11 months ago #189

Not that this will help, but I have a D7000 and have not noticed any problems what so ever. With a 50mm f/1.8 it is extremely sharp. With my Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 it can be a little soft at f2.8 but at f4 it is sharp. I have never had any issues with the 18-105mm kit lens as well. I love my D7000. Hope you can get it figured out and or fixed.