Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Keep Shooting! Photography Assignments (04 Feb 2013)

Be sure to check out the new Keep Shooting! Photography Assignments, every two weeks there is a new one!

cazillo.com/c/forum/keep-shooting-photography-assignments.html

Nikon D7000 Focus Issues

More
7 years 4 months ago #200 by chris chadwick
chris chadwick replied the topic: Re: Nikon D7000 Focus Issues
I have had my D7000 for around six months and not had any issues as yet. I am not sure what lenses you have used but was told that the D7000 works at its best with Pro lenses, but really it should work with all lenses no matter what price. You have me worried now as I have just recommended the camera to a friend of mine........... I am off to shoot some charts. :(

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 4 months ago #235 by Steven Smafield
Steven Smafield replied the topic: Re: Nikon D7000 Focus Issues
Never a problem for me either until the last wedding which was about 14 months after purchase. I love my D7000 just wish it wasn't acting up.

More
7 years 4 months ago #236 by Steven Smafield
Steven Smafield replied the topic: Re: Nikon D7000 Focus Issues
both are Nikon 17-55 2.8 and 70-200 vr2. Bought great glass so when I buy a better body I will be set.

More
7 years 4 months ago #414 by Brian Eaton
Brian Eaton replied the topic: Re: Nikon D7000 Focus Issues
Hello all,

My sister has a D7000 and has been having the same issues most of you have, I did find that adjusting the AF fine tune did help, but didn't remedy the issue and you have to adjust it quite a bit when using diff focal lengths.

Cheers,
B

More
7 years 4 months ago #417 by Nathan P.
Nathan P. replied the topic: Re: Nikon D7000 Focus Issues
SO glad its not just me having this issue!

Its funny, i will have no problems then all the sudden I will have bad AF issues. it seems to only last for one session with the camera then back to normal.. it has caused some serious frustration and doubts.

I have seen posts online that people have sent the camera in and they note it works good and they have the same issue when it gets back.

Dont get me wrong, it's not always an issue and I love the camera. Just, very annoying to get somewhere and have that issue happen. It have made me look at investing in a new camera and just having it as a back up..

More
7 years 4 months ago #477 by Serdar Dikdik
Serdar Dikdik replied the topic: Re: Nikon D7000 Focus Issues
dear beast,
for your sample picture I guess you are using single point focus. maybe the white ball (the focused object) is mainly a single white colour object and it can effect the metering and focusing.

But I am seeing it focused slightly the left side. I think your lens needs a AF fine tune from the menu. If you can buy those test charts for the fine tune, your problem will be solved I guess.

for the same picture did you tried other focusing methods. what are the results

Bigger is Better

More
7 years 4 months ago #675 by Scott St.Cyr
Scott St.Cyr replied the topic: Re: Nikon D7000 Focus Issues

More
7 years 4 months ago #679 by Serdar Dikdik
Serdar Dikdik replied the topic: Re: Nikon D7000 Focus Issues
oops.

let us know, when you received it. And if it is fixed. Also if you have the opprtunity or some guy you know just ask them is it general issue and what are they doing to solve it

Bigger is Better

More
7 years 4 months ago #700 by Jim
Jim replied the topic: Re: Nikon D7000 Focus Issues
Simply wanted to add.... I too had a problem with the first D7000 body I purchased. Got it from ADORAMA (which is a grat company to work with)and they would have replaced it, but because the camera was so hot at the the time, they were out of stock and unknowing when more would come in.

I checked with B&H and ended up having to buy a Kit (altough I didn't need the lens) Put the lens on EBAY, sold it in a day- and the body has rock solid since.

Must have been a funky copy.....

More
7 years 4 months ago #828 by Scott St.Cyr
Scott St.Cyr replied the topic: Re: Nikon D7000 Focus Issues
Obviously there is a problem. There may be hope yet! This is the current status of Terry's D7000 currently at Nikon.

plus.google.com/100381291759660513902/posts/4E2B5pTniZ7?hl=en

Scott

More
7 years 1 month ago #1269 by Franz
Franz replied the topic: Re: Nikon D7000 Focus Issues
Hey guys,

I've been reading the board for quite some time now but never jumped in. Since I've had similar problems with my D7k, I just want to share my experience:

I also didn't photograph test charts but actual people and back focussing was clearly pronounced. I use AF single servo most of the time, focussed at the eye and the subject's ears got sharp...

I've found that the problems were more pronounced on my shorter lenses (<100mm). I took my camera to a official Nikon Service Point (that's what they're called here in Germany). The Nikon clerk told me that most digital SLRs suffer from back focussing particularly with shorter lenses. They weren't willing to confirm known issues with the D77k though...

They checked my camera (took them 5 days) and found a back focussing issue which was way off the tolerance level. So they re-adjusted the camera's phase-autofocus (along with my shorter prime lenses). I haven't had issues ever since.

Note: Taking pictures through the optical viewfinder and taking pictures in live view mode use different AF-systems. Liveview using contrast-AF is typically more precise (focussing is being done on the sensor level), though way slower. Focussing when using the optical VF is fast but less accurate (focussing is being done independently from the sensor level and hence has to be adjusted).

So, it's completely normal if you LV pictures are sharper - however, it's a question of degree. I don't regret handing my camera in for a week - now, I don't have to worry anymore and can be sure that it was me who messed things up, not the camera ;)

More
6 years 2 months ago #3559 by Russ
Russ replied the topic: Nikon D7000 Focus Issues
I bought a D7000 2 days ago. The focussing worked perfectly with the supplied 18-105 lens and also with my 50mm F1.8 AF-D lens. However on my 80-200mm F/2.8 AF-D lens it never focussed once on the actual object I was trying to focus on. Or rather it did focus, but not correctly, always being soft. I was very dissapointed about this and have just spent a hour in the shop I bought it from getting a refund (Currys PC-WORLD). They didn't want to give me a refund because they said I have used it (and to be fair most shops seem to take this line) but after being a pain in the neck to them for long enough they gave in and re-funded me.

This is a real shame, the images from the D7000 looked fantastic with my 50mm lens but always soft with the 80-200mm and also most of them were badly overexposed (by around 2 stops). The 80-200mm works fine in my D90. They chap in the shop suggested I but the new 70-200mm VR II but I thought the whole point of Nikon DSLRs is that they are compatible with older lenses. If they ever fix the problem, I would buy another D7000 in a flash.