Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: ISO issues

ISO issues 4 years 9 months ago #1118

• Josh Waters
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Is there any way to check and see if ISO is properly calibrated. After a particular outing, when some wierd things started happened on my camera I then noticing I have to turn my ISO up to get the speeds i normally got without having to do that. I emailed Nikon but just went in circles. I've reset all the normal things. My inside shots are incredibly slow without pumping the ISO, and i don't remember it being as big of an issue before.

How do you check for proper calibrations?
Is it possible to even throw ISO out of calibration?
maybe i'm crazy... :silly:woohoo:
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: ISO issues 4 years 9 months ago #1119

• Scott St.Cyr
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
The first thing that comes to mind is your aperture. If you're in Aperture Priority mode(or manual), then you may have left your aperture stopped way down (f16-f22) accidentally. You would have to have your ISO way high to compensate for that in lower light. Double-check that and let us know.

Scott
Last Edit: 4 years 9 months ago by Scott St.Cyr.
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

Re: ISO issues 4 years 9 months ago #1120

• Scott St.Cyr
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
One other thing I just thought about is Exposure Compensation. If you mistakenly changed it you may have to compensate with your ISO to get higher shutter speeds. You wouldn't be as far off on your shutter speed with this being changed as you would with the aperture being stopped down, but it's worth checking.

Scott

Re: ISO issues 4 years 9 months ago #1122

I would do some testing with a friend's camera to see if the exposures are close. Make sure you are on manual exposure, similar lens, turn off bracketing and exposure compensation like Scott said. Also make sure Auto ISO is turned off.

Re: ISO issues 4 years 9 months ago #1125

• Josh Waters
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Thanks for you thoughts guys. All of the ideas that were mentioned are good areas to look into. Unfortunatly, I've already looked into all of those settings short of using someone elses camera for comparisons. No bracketing, exposure, auto, aperature issues. Thats why I offered up those specific questions. Is is even possible for ISO to be out of calibration? Maybe, maybe not? Anyone know?

Re: ISO issues 4 years 9 months ago #1129

• Mistery
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 16
I've never experianced anything like that in the past. Could the lighting be that much dimmer than before and you just didn't notice it? Remember bulbs get darker as they age.
D800 w/grip, D700 w/grip,V1,14-24mm F/2.8, 24-70mm F/2.8, 70-200mm F/2.8, 200-400mm F/4, 105mm,F/2.8,35mm F/1.4,35mm F/1.8, 85mm F/1.4,1.7x Tele

Re: ISO issues 4 years 9 months ago #1137

I am guessing you have also tried other lenses? That could make a difference. If anything is out of calibration its probably the light meter. What metering mode is your camera set to?

Re: ISO issues 4 years 9 months ago #1150

• Tor
  • Fresh Boarder
Have you -reset all camera settings- and rechecked?