Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Nikon D3200

Nikon D3200 4 years 7 months ago #1326

• Conor Casey
  • Thank you received: 55
Just wondering what everyone thinks of the new Nikon D3200, successor to the D3100. Even if you don't intend to buy it, like me, give me your opinion. :)

Personally, I think it is an interesting move from Nikon (though not necessarily a good one). I mean the new, headline feature is surely the new 24 megapixel sensor! This camera is clearly aimed at the beginner's market and in my opinion, it is really exploiting them. Beginners will look at this camera and think, yes! 24mps (8 more than the D4) in a body for around €500-€600. Naturally, they think the more megapixels, the better. Of course, as photographers, we all know this is untrue. I am sure some of us are all too well acquainted with image noise.

It will be really interesting to see the noise performance of this camera. I mean 24 mps in a crop sensor DSLR! Too much in my opinion. Full frame is a different story and I was suitably impressed at the D800's control of image noise at high ISO's, it was actually similar to the D700 despite the files being 3 times higher in resolution. The question is can a crop sensor camera do the same? I wonder...

The higher resolution also lends itself to bigger file sizes, which may be undesirable for beginners. At least the hard-drive companies will do well out of it. :P

In other areas, much is unchanged. It seems Nikon is finally up to date with movie modes anyway. ISO gets one extra stop (though we will see its usefulness soon), continuous shooting is up from 3fps to 4 which is nice.

Overall though, I look forward to seeing noise tests to see if the huge 24 mp sensor can keep up. Has Nikon sacrificed noise performance (their strength) in favor of more mps? Looking forward to hearing what people think of it, even if you have no intention of buying it.

Thanks,
- Conor.
Conor Casey
Flickr
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Nikon D3200 4 years 7 months ago #1328

• Christian Udarbe
  • Gold Boarder
  • Just go out and shoot
  • Thank you received: 12
Absolutely, I was stunned to hear that it was 24 megapixels! I was like ----> :ohmy:

Imagine the RAW file sizes on each image! I mean, even if this is targeted for beginners, we want them to start shooting RAW as soon as possible to get into grips with it. Depending on the RAW it can range from 24 to up to 36Mb! (that's just rough estimate LOL). This will surely increase the fear of beginners trying out RAW.

I am also worried about their move to more megapixels may reduce noise performance. Only time will tell I guess.

Some stuff I like about this over their past entry level would be full 1080p HD video at 30fps, and a 920,000 dot LCD screen.

Also the use of the WU-1a dongle, that effectively gives the same feature found in the D4 and that is being able to have liveview on your smartphone or tablet... for only $60 extra. Nice... but still is no less just a gimmick if anything LOL

Sadly, I fear with the advent of the D3200, most crop sensor DSLRs will begin to have larger MP. Will this be a good thing? It might in time... if the noise performance tests will be great, and hopefully an even more immense price drop on current market memory cards, then by all means, this is the way of the future. But honestly, I never had trouble with even just a 12MP camera...

A medical student;
A musician;
A photographer;
ITS ALL AN ART

Blogger
Facebook
Flickr
Twitter: @ChanUdarbe

Add me up!
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

Re: Nikon D3200 4 years 7 months ago #1341

• Conor Casey
I agree with you Christian that other camera makers will likely follow suit with the mp count. I mean beginners will look at this with 24mps, compared with the Canon 1100d (12mps) or 600d (18mps) and quickly conclude that the Nikon must have better image quality. Such a pity. I still get fantastic shots and manageable file sizes with my 12.3mp D90.

I was also shocked that this was released before the D400, which we seem all to be waiting an eternity for. :P

Glad to hear your thoughts.
Conor Casey
Flickr
Last Edit: 4 years 7 months ago by Conor Casey.

Re: Nikon D3200 4 years 7 months ago #1347

• Zoltan Martel
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I'm getting very sceptical about all those new products. My experiences with recent digital photography stuff haven't been that great to be honest.
Remember the F4 and all the non-pro cameras with similar features. Well, the new Nikon product portfolio reminds me of that period.
The DSLR market must be really bad for Nikon to undermine the Nikon system.
Camera features do not pictures make.

Re: Nikon D3200 4 years 7 months ago #1398

• Conor Casey
I've just seen the "wine" colour version of the D3200, it is simply putrid! :sick: :P
Conor Casey
Flickr

Re: Nikon D3200 4 years 7 months ago #1399

• Christian Udarbe
  • Gold Boarder
  • Just go out and shoot
  • Thank you received: 12
LOL I was curious so I looked it up. Looks like a fashion accessory than an actual gadget now... :lol:

A medical student;
A musician;
A photographer;
ITS ALL AN ART

Blogger
Facebook
Flickr
Twitter: @ChanUdarbe

Add me up!